Sep 15, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Many pundits believe that Oliver Ekman-Larsson is primed for a breakout season, but he’ll need to bide his time in the AHL first.
The young defenseman was one of 29 Phoenix Coyotes assigned to the AHL’s Portland Pirates. The team listed the following players in that group:
Forwards: Scott Arnold, Alexandre Bolduc, Chris Brown, Chris Conner, Brett Hextall, Rob Klinkhammer, Phil Lane, Jordan Martinook, Andy Miele, Joel Rechlicz, Brendan Shinnimin, Jordan Szwarz and Ethan Werek.
Goalies: Louis Domingue, Chad Johnson, Mike Lee and Mark Visentin.
(Admit it, you’re tempted to buy a Pirates Klinkhammer jersey.)
Sarah McLellan reports that Coyotes GM Don Maloney was reluctant to send Ekman-Larsson to the AHL, but “OEL” said he wanted to go.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)