Sep 15, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Many pundits believe that Oliver Ekman-Larsson is primed for a breakout season, but he’ll need to bide his time in the AHL first.
The young defenseman was one of 29 Phoenix Coyotes assigned to the AHL’s Portland Pirates. The team listed the following players in that group:
Forwards: Scott Arnold, Alexandre Bolduc, Chris Brown, Chris Conner, Brett Hextall, Rob Klinkhammer, Phil Lane, Jordan Martinook, Andy Miele, Joel Rechlicz, Brendan Shinnimin, Jordan Szwarz and Ethan Werek.
Goalies: Louis Domingue, Chad Johnson, Mike Lee and Mark Visentin.
(Admit it, you’re tempted to buy a Pirates Klinkhammer jersey.)
Sarah McLellan reports that Coyotes GM Don Maloney was reluctant to send Ekman-Larsson to the AHL, but “OEL” said he wanted to go.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 11
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 44
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10