Sep 14, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Coyotes captain Shane Doan will decide between staying in Phoenix or signing with the Vancouver Canucks by today at 5 p.m. ET, reports John Gambadoro of Sports 620 KTAR in Arizona.
Doan’s first preference has always been re-upping with the Coyotes and ending his career with the franchise that drafted him in 1995 when the team was in Winnipeg. However, the club’s ownership uncertainty led him to explore alternatives this summer.
The Coyotes are still owned by the NHL, and a deal to sell them to Greg Jamison could be on the rocks due to the City of Glendale’s desire to re-work a lease agreement for Jobing.com Arena.
Doan, an unrestricted free agent, was reportedly “blown away” by a presentation the Canucks made to the 35-year-old. Vancouver is eager to add a character power forward of Doan’s ilk to its top-six, and the opportunity to play with the Sedin twins and compete for a Stanley Cup is presumably an attractive one.
Also worth noting:
—- Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman, formerly an executive with the Jets/Coyotes, has a good relationship with Doan.
—- Doan’s wife is from Kamloops, British Columbia, and the couple spends time there in the offseason.
—- Doan is also a co-owner of his former junior team, the Kamloops Blazers (WHL).
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 1
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)