Sep 14, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Coyotes captain Shane Doan will decide between staying in Phoenix or signing with the Vancouver Canucks by today at 5 p.m. ET, reports John Gambadoro of Sports 620 KTAR in Arizona.
Doan’s first preference has always been re-upping with the Coyotes and ending his career with the franchise that drafted him in 1995 when the team was in Winnipeg. However, the club’s ownership uncertainty led him to explore alternatives this summer.
The Coyotes are still owned by the NHL, and a deal to sell them to Greg Jamison could be on the rocks due to the City of Glendale’s desire to re-work a lease agreement for Jobing.com Arena.
Doan, an unrestricted free agent, was reportedly “blown away” by a presentation the Canucks made to the 35-year-old. Vancouver is eager to add a character power forward of Doan’s ilk to its top-six, and the opportunity to play with the Sedin twins and compete for a Stanley Cup is presumably an attractive one.
Also worth noting:
—- Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman, formerly an executive with the Jets/Coyotes, has a good relationship with Doan.
—- Doan’s wife is from Kamloops, British Columbia, and the couple spends time there in the offseason.
—- Doan is also a co-owner of his former junior team, the Kamloops Blazers (WHL).
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)