Sep 14, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Coyotes captain Shane Doan will decide between staying in Phoenix or signing with the Vancouver Canucks by today at 5 p.m. ET, reports John Gambadoro of Sports 620 KTAR in Arizona.
Doan’s first preference has always been re-upping with the Coyotes and ending his career with the franchise that drafted him in 1995 when the team was in Winnipeg. However, the club’s ownership uncertainty led him to explore alternatives this summer.
The Coyotes are still owned by the NHL, and a deal to sell them to Greg Jamison could be on the rocks due to the City of Glendale’s desire to re-work a lease agreement for Jobing.com Arena.
Doan, an unrestricted free agent, was reportedly “blown away” by a presentation the Canucks made to the 35-year-old. Vancouver is eager to add a character power forward of Doan’s ilk to its top-six, and the opportunity to play with the Sedin twins and compete for a Stanley Cup is presumably an attractive one.
Also worth noting:
—- Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman, formerly an executive with the Jets/Coyotes, has a good relationship with Doan.
—- Doan’s wife is from Kamloops, British Columbia, and the couple spends time there in the offseason.
—- Doan is also a co-owner of his former junior team, the Kamloops Blazers (WHL).
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 0
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 4
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17