Sep 14, 2012, 11:29 AM EST
Coyotes captain Shane Doan will decide between staying in Phoenix or signing with the Vancouver Canucks by today at 5 p.m. ET, reports John Gambadoro of Sports 620 KTAR in Arizona.
Doan’s first preference has always been re-upping with the Coyotes and ending his career with the franchise that drafted him in 1995 when the team was in Winnipeg. However, the club’s ownership uncertainty led him to explore alternatives this summer.
The Coyotes are still owned by the NHL, and a deal to sell them to Greg Jamison could be on the rocks due to the City of Glendale’s desire to re-work a lease agreement for Jobing.com Arena.
Doan, an unrestricted free agent, was reportedly “blown away” by a presentation the Canucks made to the 35-year-old. Vancouver is eager to add a character power forward of Doan’s ilk to its top-six, and the opportunity to play with the Sedin twins and compete for a Stanley Cup is presumably an attractive one.
Also worth noting:
—- Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman, formerly an executive with the Jets/Coyotes, has a good relationship with Doan.
—- Doan’s wife is from Kamloops, British Columbia, and the couple spends time there in the offseason.
—- Doan is also a co-owner of his former junior team, the Kamloops Blazers (WHL).
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 3
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 5
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8