Sep 14, 2012, 11:29 AM EST
Coyotes captain Shane Doan will decide between staying in Phoenix or signing with the Vancouver Canucks by today at 5 p.m. ET, reports John Gambadoro of Sports 620 KTAR in Arizona.
Doan’s first preference has always been re-upping with the Coyotes and ending his career with the franchise that drafted him in 1995 when the team was in Winnipeg. However, the club’s ownership uncertainty led him to explore alternatives this summer.
The Coyotes are still owned by the NHL, and a deal to sell them to Greg Jamison could be on the rocks due to the City of Glendale’s desire to re-work a lease agreement for Jobing.com Arena.
Doan, an unrestricted free agent, was reportedly “blown away” by a presentation the Canucks made to the 35-year-old. Vancouver is eager to add a character power forward of Doan’s ilk to its top-six, and the opportunity to play with the Sedin twins and compete for a Stanley Cup is presumably an attractive one.
Also worth noting:
—- Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman, formerly an executive with the Jets/Coyotes, has a good relationship with Doan.
—- Doan’s wife is from Kamloops, British Columbia, and the couple spends time there in the offseason.
—- Doan is also a co-owner of his former junior team, the Kamloops Blazers (WHL).
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 3
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)