Sep 14, 2012, 1:56 PM EDT
In advance of Saturday’s lockout, the New York Islanders bid adieu to their three most recent first-round picks.
Nino Niederreiter, taken 5th overall in 2010, was sent to AHL Bridgeport while Ryan Strome (5th overall, 2011) and Griffin Reinhart (4th overall, 2012) were sent to OHL Niagara and WHL Edmonton respectively.
Niederreiter, 20, played six games in Bridgeport last season after spending the majority of the season with the Isles.
He’ll be joined on the Tigers by Isles teammate Travis Hamonic, and it’s expected the pair will greatly bolster the AHL roster. Hamonic in particular — the highly-touted defenseman led the Isles with a plus-six rating last year and was third on the team in TOI (22:25), third in hits and second in blocked shots.
As for Strome and Reinhart, they’ll both begin the year back in junior. This was likely going to be the case regardless of labor strife — Strome is 19, Reinhart’s 18 — but there was a possibility of the pair making an impression and perhaps sticking around out of training camp.
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 2
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 20
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 58
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (90)