Sep 14, 2012, 1:56 PM EDT
In advance of Saturday’s lockout, the New York Islanders bid adieu to their three most recent first-round picks.
Nino Niederreiter, taken 5th overall in 2010, was sent to AHL Bridgeport while Ryan Strome (5th overall, 2011) and Griffin Reinhart (4th overall, 2012) were sent to OHL Niagara and WHL Edmonton respectively.
Niederreiter, 20, played six games in Bridgeport last season after spending the majority of the season with the Isles.
He’ll be joined on the Tigers by Isles teammate Travis Hamonic, and it’s expected the pair will greatly bolster the AHL roster. Hamonic in particular — the highly-touted defenseman led the Isles with a plus-six rating last year and was third on the team in TOI (22:25), third in hits and second in blocked shots.
As for Strome and Reinhart, they’ll both begin the year back in junior. This was likely going to be the case regardless of labor strife — Strome is 19, Reinhart’s 18 — but there was a possibility of the pair making an impression and perhaps sticking around out of training camp.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)