Sep 14, 2012, 10:55 AM EDT
As expected (here and here), defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo and forward Justin Abdelkader have inked contracts with the Detroit Red Wings. The former was an unrestricted free agent, the latter was restricted.
Colaiacovo, 29, gets a two-year, $5 million deal and will join a defensive corps that will be without Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart next season.
“He’s a veteran,” Wings GM Ken Holland said of Colaiacovo, as per the Detroit Free Press. “He’s played in the NHL. [Brendan] Smith is a rookie. [Jakub] Kindl has been around a bit but hasn’t really had the opportunity to establish himself.
“Carlo gives us another veteran defenseman for our team. He can play on the power play. He’s got the ability to get the puck in the hands of our forwards. It’s another veteran.”
Abdelkader, 25, gets a four-year, $7.2 million deal after a 22-point season (8 G, 14 A).
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)