Sep 14, 2012, 10:55 AM EDT
As expected (here and here), defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo and forward Justin Abdelkader have inked contracts with the Detroit Red Wings. The former was an unrestricted free agent, the latter was restricted.
Colaiacovo, 29, gets a two-year, $5 million deal and will join a defensive corps that will be without Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart next season.
“He’s a veteran,” Wings GM Ken Holland said of Colaiacovo, as per the Detroit Free Press. “He’s played in the NHL. [Brendan] Smith is a rookie. [Jakub] Kindl has been around a bit but hasn’t really had the opportunity to establish himself.
“Carlo gives us another veteran defenseman for our team. He can play on the power play. He’s got the ability to get the puck in the hands of our forwards. It’s another veteran.”
Abdelkader, 25, gets a four-year, $7.2 million deal after a 22-point season (8 G, 14 A).
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5