Sep 14, 2012, 10:55 AM EST
As expected (here and here), defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo and forward Justin Abdelkader have inked contracts with the Detroit Red Wings. The former was an unrestricted free agent, the latter was restricted.
Colaiacovo, 29, gets a two-year, $5 million deal and will join a defensive corps that will be without Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart next season.
“He’s a veteran,” Wings GM Ken Holland said of Colaiacovo, as per the Detroit Free Press. “He’s played in the NHL. [Brendan] Smith is a rookie. [Jakub] Kindl has been around a bit but hasn’t really had the opportunity to establish himself.
“Carlo gives us another veteran defenseman for our team. He can play on the power play. He’s got the ability to get the puck in the hands of our forwards. It’s another veteran.”
Abdelkader, 25, gets a four-year, $7.2 million deal after a 22-point season (8 G, 14 A).
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)