Sep 14, 2012, 10:55 AM EDT
As expected (here and here), defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo and forward Justin Abdelkader have inked contracts with the Detroit Red Wings. The former was an unrestricted free agent, the latter was restricted.
Colaiacovo, 29, gets a two-year, $5 million deal and will join a defensive corps that will be without Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart next season.
“He’s a veteran,” Wings GM Ken Holland said of Colaiacovo, as per the Detroit Free Press. “He’s played in the NHL. [Brendan] Smith is a rookie. [Jakub] Kindl has been around a bit but hasn’t really had the opportunity to establish himself.
“Carlo gives us another veteran defenseman for our team. He can play on the power play. He’s got the ability to get the puck in the hands of our forwards. It’s another veteran.”
Abdelkader, 25, gets a four-year, $7.2 million deal after a 22-point season (8 G, 14 A).
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)