Sep 14, 2012, 10:55 AM EST
As expected (here and here), defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo and forward Justin Abdelkader have inked contracts with the Detroit Red Wings. The former was an unrestricted free agent, the latter was restricted.
Colaiacovo, 29, gets a two-year, $5 million deal and will join a defensive corps that will be without Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart next season.
“He’s a veteran,” Wings GM Ken Holland said of Colaiacovo, as per the Detroit Free Press. “He’s played in the NHL. [Brendan] Smith is a rookie. [Jakub] Kindl has been around a bit but hasn’t really had the opportunity to establish himself.
“Carlo gives us another veteran defenseman for our team. He can play on the power play. He’s got the ability to get the puck in the hands of our forwards. It’s another veteran.”
Abdelkader, 25, gets a four-year, $7.2 million deal after a 22-point season (8 G, 14 A).
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 45
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 29
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 60
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)