Sep 13, 2012, 9:36 PM EDT
We seem to be heading towards a lockout and it might not be a short one. We lost the 2004-05 campaign due to the last lockout and the result was that the NHL came back with a cap and player salary rollback.
“Seven years ago, we missed a year and then the players gave up,” Timonen said, according to the
Timonen saw the NHL’s initial offer, which asked the players to make significant concessions compared to what they have with the expiring CBA, as similar to their demands during the last lockout. However, Timonen expects a different result.
“I think that was the wrong way to start the negotiations this time,” he said of the owner’s initial offer. “I think the union is much better this time around. We’re more informed, we’re more open. You can lock in (to information) on your phones. We know what’s going on.”
Timonen doesn’t think the owner’s strategy is going to work.
”Both sides have to give up something, but coming from seven years ago and what we gave up, I don’t think it’s going to happen this time,” Timonen said. “That’s why I’m afraid it might take a while.”
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)