Sep 13, 2012, 9:36 PM EDT
We seem to be heading towards a lockout and it might not be a short one. We lost the 2004-05 campaign due to the last lockout and the result was that the NHL came back with a cap and player salary rollback.
“Seven years ago, we missed a year and then the players gave up,” Timonen said, according to the
Timonen saw the NHL’s initial offer, which asked the players to make significant concessions compared to what they have with the expiring CBA, as similar to their demands during the last lockout. However, Timonen expects a different result.
“I think that was the wrong way to start the negotiations this time,” he said of the owner’s initial offer. “I think the union is much better this time around. We’re more informed, we’re more open. You can lock in (to information) on your phones. We know what’s going on.”
Timonen doesn’t think the owner’s strategy is going to work.
”Both sides have to give up something, but coming from seven years ago and what we gave up, I don’t think it’s going to happen this time,” Timonen said. “That’s why I’m afraid it might take a while.”
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)