Sep 13, 2012, 9:36 PM EDT
We seem to be heading towards a lockout and it might not be a short one. We lost the 2004-05 campaign due to the last lockout and the result was that the NHL came back with a cap and player salary rollback.
“Seven years ago, we missed a year and then the players gave up,” Timonen said, according to the
Timonen saw the NHL’s initial offer, which asked the players to make significant concessions compared to what they have with the expiring CBA, as similar to their demands during the last lockout. However, Timonen expects a different result.
“I think that was the wrong way to start the negotiations this time,” he said of the owner’s initial offer. “I think the union is much better this time around. We’re more informed, we’re more open. You can lock in (to information) on your phones. We know what’s going on.”
Timonen doesn’t think the owner’s strategy is going to work.
”Both sides have to give up something, but coming from seven years ago and what we gave up, I don’t think it’s going to happen this time,” Timonen said. “That’s why I’m afraid it might take a while.”
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 1
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)