Sep 13, 2012, 9:36 PM EST
We seem to be heading towards a lockout and it might not be a short one. We lost the 2004-05 campaign due to the last lockout and the result was that the NHL came back with a cap and player salary rollback.
“Seven years ago, we missed a year and then the players gave up,” Timonen said, according to the
Timonen saw the NHL’s initial offer, which asked the players to make significant concessions compared to what they have with the expiring CBA, as similar to their demands during the last lockout. However, Timonen expects a different result.
“I think that was the wrong way to start the negotiations this time,” he said of the owner’s initial offer. “I think the union is much better this time around. We’re more informed, we’re more open. You can lock in (to information) on your phones. We know what’s going on.”
Timonen doesn’t think the owner’s strategy is going to work.
”Both sides have to give up something, but coming from seven years ago and what we gave up, I don’t think it’s going to happen this time,” Timonen said. “That’s why I’m afraid it might take a while.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)