Sep 13, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
David Krejci was born in the Czech Republic, but he went to the QMJHL rather than attempting to play for his nation’s top hockey league before eventually breaking into the NHL. However, if there’s a lockout, he will return to his native country to play hockey, according to CSNNE.com.
On the one hand, the opportunity to play in front of his family and friends on home soil would be great. However, he always pictured the Czech Republic as the place he goes to end his NHL career. If he returns this season, it won’t be under ideal circumstances.
“I never thought it would be when I was 26 [years old],” Krejci said. “A few teams have already contacted me from the Czech Republic. I would definitely go there. I wouldn’t go to any other countries. If they’re going to say there’s a lockout on Saturday, I’m not going to leave on Sunday or Monday. I haven’t given any [Czech] teams my word yet. My first priority is here, but then I’ll start making some decisions after that. There are so many things that go into picking a team.”
Krejci did get a taste of playing in the Czech Republic when the Boston Bruins kicked off the 2010-11 campaign in Prague.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)