Sep 13, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
David Krejci was born in the Czech Republic, but he went to the QMJHL rather than attempting to play for his nation’s top hockey league before eventually breaking into the NHL. However, if there’s a lockout, he will return to his native country to play hockey, according to CSNNE.com.
On the one hand, the opportunity to play in front of his family and friends on home soil would be great. However, he always pictured the Czech Republic as the place he goes to end his NHL career. If he returns this season, it won’t be under ideal circumstances.
“I never thought it would be when I was 26 [years old],” Krejci said. “A few teams have already contacted me from the Czech Republic. I would definitely go there. I wouldn’t go to any other countries. If they’re going to say there’s a lockout on Saturday, I’m not going to leave on Sunday or Monday. I haven’t given any [Czech] teams my word yet. My first priority is here, but then I’ll start making some decisions after that. There are so many things that go into picking a team.”
Krejci did get a taste of playing in the Czech Republic when the Boston Bruins kicked off the 2010-11 campaign in Prague.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)