Sep 13, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
Confused about the CBA negotiations between the NHL and NHLPA? You’re not alone. There’s a lot of math being thrown around.
The Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle has a good breakdown of the numbers,.Click on the link if you really want to get into the nitty-gritty of each side’s offer.
For those that just want a takeaway, here it is in Mirtle’s words:
“…the union is trying to stay at or above that $1.87-billion figure earned last season in order to avoid big-time escrow payments by its players right away. That’s one of the things players have asked Fehr for, and he is listening and trying to deliver.”
So basically the NHLPA doesn’t want to take a pay-cut. Ultimately the players would probably be OK with their share of revenues slowly diminishing over the course of the deal. Currently their share is 57 percent.
Where’s the compromise? At this point, nobody knows for certain. But if we had to guess, perhaps it’s something like 54 percent to start and gradually ending up at 50 percent.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)