Sep 13, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
Confused about the CBA negotiations between the NHL and NHLPA? You’re not alone. There’s a lot of math being thrown around.
The Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle has a good breakdown of the numbers,.Click on the link if you really want to get into the nitty-gritty of each side’s offer.
For those that just want a takeaway, here it is in Mirtle’s words:
“…the union is trying to stay at or above that $1.87-billion figure earned last season in order to avoid big-time escrow payments by its players right away. That’s one of the things players have asked Fehr for, and he is listening and trying to deliver.”
So basically the NHLPA doesn’t want to take a pay-cut. Ultimately the players would probably be OK with their share of revenues slowly diminishing over the course of the deal. Currently their share is 57 percent.
Where’s the compromise? At this point, nobody knows for certain. But if we had to guess, perhaps it’s something like 54 percent to start and gradually ending up at 50 percent.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)