Sep 13, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
While some veteran NHLers have little interest in playing overseas if they’re locked out, one of the league’s oldest players is of a different mindset.
Brodeur, 40, is is the league’s oldest netminder and third-oldest player — only Teemu Selanne and Jaromir Jagr are older — but will think about plying his trade elsewhere should NHLers get locked out.
That said, he won’t think about it “right away.” While stories about NHLers looking abroad aren’t rare — more and more seem to be planning for a work stoppage — the idea of Brodeur going overseas is surprising.
He resisted the temptation during the last lockout (didn’t play anywhere in 2004-05, opting to take a break from hockey) and, based on the quotes from fellow elder statesmen, uprooting life to play in Switzerland or Russia isn’t very enticing.
Europe also doesn’t appear to be an option for 36-year-old Edmonton winger Ryan Smyth, who said older players will have fewer opportunities abroad.
“I look at a lockout differently than somebody younger,” he said. “Even with guys going over to Europe (if there’s a lockout), I’m sure those teams would be looking at kids first.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)