Sep 13, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
While some veteran NHLers have little interest in playing overseas if they’re locked out, one of the league’s oldest players is of a different mindset.
Brodeur, 40, is is the league’s oldest netminder and third-oldest player — only Teemu Selanne and Jaromir Jagr are older — but will think about plying his trade elsewhere should NHLers get locked out.
That said, he won’t think about it “right away.” While stories about NHLers looking abroad aren’t rare — more and more seem to be planning for a work stoppage — the idea of Brodeur going overseas is surprising.
He resisted the temptation during the last lockout (didn’t play anywhere in 2004-05, opting to take a break from hockey) and, based on the quotes from fellow elder statesmen, uprooting life to play in Switzerland or Russia isn’t very enticing.
Europe also doesn’t appear to be an option for 36-year-old Edmonton winger Ryan Smyth, who said older players will have fewer opportunities abroad.
“I look at a lockout differently than somebody younger,” he said. “Even with guys going over to Europe (if there’s a lockout), I’m sure those teams would be looking at kids first.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)