Sep 13, 2012, 4:10 PM EST
While some veteran NHLers have little interest in playing overseas if they’re locked out, one of the league’s oldest players is of a different mindset.
Brodeur, 40, is is the league’s oldest netminder and third-oldest player — only Teemu Selanne and Jaromir Jagr are older — but will think about plying his trade elsewhere should NHLers get locked out.
That said, he won’t think about it “right away.” While stories about NHLers looking abroad aren’t rare — more and more seem to be planning for a work stoppage — the idea of Brodeur going overseas is surprising.
He resisted the temptation during the last lockout (didn’t play anywhere in 2004-05, opting to take a break from hockey) and, based on the quotes from fellow elder statesmen, uprooting life to play in Switzerland or Russia isn’t very enticing.
Europe also doesn’t appear to be an option for 36-year-old Edmonton winger Ryan Smyth, who said older players will have fewer opportunities abroad.
“I look at a lockout differently than somebody younger,” he said. “Even with guys going over to Europe (if there’s a lockout), I’m sure those teams would be looking at kids first.”
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 46
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 32
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 6
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 32
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 132
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (132)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (111)