Sep 13, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
While some veteran NHLers have little interest in playing overseas if they’re locked out, one of the league’s oldest players is of a different mindset.
Brodeur, 40, is is the league’s oldest netminder and third-oldest player — only Teemu Selanne and Jaromir Jagr are older — but will think about plying his trade elsewhere should NHLers get locked out.
That said, he won’t think about it “right away.” While stories about NHLers looking abroad aren’t rare — more and more seem to be planning for a work stoppage — the idea of Brodeur going overseas is surprising.
He resisted the temptation during the last lockout (didn’t play anywhere in 2004-05, opting to take a break from hockey) and, based on the quotes from fellow elder statesmen, uprooting life to play in Switzerland or Russia isn’t very enticing.
Europe also doesn’t appear to be an option for 36-year-old Edmonton winger Ryan Smyth, who said older players will have fewer opportunities abroad.
“I look at a lockout differently than somebody younger,” he said. “Even with guys going over to Europe (if there’s a lockout), I’m sure those teams would be looking at kids first.”
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)