Sep 13, 2012, 11:37 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins have made a “clerical move” in advance of what appears to be a certain lockout.
According to Joe Haggerty of CSNNE, the B’s have put four players — center Trent Whitfield, defenseman Garnet Exelby, forward Christian Hanson and winger Jamie Tardif — on waivers, for the purpose of sending them to the AHL.
Exelby, 31, and Whitfield, 35, are the two most vested veterans of the group. Exelby has over 400 games of NHL experience while Whitfield, a Boston draft pick in 1996, has played nearly 200 NHL games for the Capitals, Rangers, Blues and Bruins.
More, from Haggerty:
None of the four players were expected to break the Bruins roster out of training camp, but they would have been full participants in Boston’s NHL camp set to start on Sept. 21.
Instead those players now need to be sent to Providence for the opening of P-Bruins camp on Sept. 28, and must first pass through waivers over next few days before being able to prepare for Providence.
It’s likely that other teams will follow suit with their AHL/waiver-eligible players as the Sept. 15 CBA expiration date draws near — the NHL has opened up a special waiver period with a lockout on the horizon.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 5
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 21
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 86
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 81
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 17
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (86)
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)