Sep 13, 2012, 11:37 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins have made a “clerical move” in advance of what appears to be a certain lockout.
According to Joe Haggerty of CSNNE, the B’s have put four players — center Trent Whitfield, defenseman Garnet Exelby, forward Christian Hanson and winger Jamie Tardif — on waivers, for the purpose of sending them to the AHL.
Exelby, 31, and Whitfield, 35, are the two most vested veterans of the group. Exelby has over 400 games of NHL experience while Whitfield, a Boston draft pick in 1996, has played nearly 200 NHL games for the Capitals, Rangers, Blues and Bruins.
More, from Haggerty:
None of the four players were expected to break the Bruins roster out of training camp, but they would have been full participants in Boston’s NHL camp set to start on Sept. 21.
Instead those players now need to be sent to Providence for the opening of P-Bruins camp on Sept. 28, and must first pass through waivers over next few days before being able to prepare for Providence.
It’s likely that other teams will follow suit with their AHL/waiver-eligible players as the Sept. 15 CBA expiration date draws near — the NHL has opened up a special waiver period with a lockout on the horizon.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 36
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 8
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)