Sep 13, 2012, 11:37 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins have made a “clerical move” in advance of what appears to be a certain lockout.
According to Joe Haggerty of CSNNE, the B’s have put four players — center Trent Whitfield, defenseman Garnet Exelby, forward Christian Hanson and winger Jamie Tardif — on waivers, for the purpose of sending them to the AHL.
Exelby, 31, and Whitfield, 35, are the two most vested veterans of the group. Exelby has over 400 games of NHL experience while Whitfield, a Boston draft pick in 1996, has played nearly 200 NHL games for the Capitals, Rangers, Blues and Bruins.
More, from Haggerty:
None of the four players were expected to break the Bruins roster out of training camp, but they would have been full participants in Boston’s NHL camp set to start on Sept. 21.
Instead those players now need to be sent to Providence for the opening of P-Bruins camp on Sept. 28, and must first pass through waivers over next few days before being able to prepare for Providence.
It’s likely that other teams will follow suit with their AHL/waiver-eligible players as the Sept. 15 CBA expiration date draws near — the NHL has opened up a special waiver period with a lockout on the horizon.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)