Sep 13, 2012, 11:37 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins have made a “clerical move” in advance of what appears to be a certain lockout.
According to Joe Haggerty of CSNNE, the B’s have put four players — center Trent Whitfield, defenseman Garnet Exelby, forward Christian Hanson and winger Jamie Tardif — on waivers, for the purpose of sending them to the AHL.
Exelby, 31, and Whitfield, 35, are the two most vested veterans of the group. Exelby has over 400 games of NHL experience while Whitfield, a Boston draft pick in 1996, has played nearly 200 NHL games for the Capitals, Rangers, Blues and Bruins.
More, from Haggerty:
None of the four players were expected to break the Bruins roster out of training camp, but they would have been full participants in Boston’s NHL camp set to start on Sept. 21.
Instead those players now need to be sent to Providence for the opening of P-Bruins camp on Sept. 28, and must first pass through waivers over next few days before being able to prepare for Providence.
It’s likely that other teams will follow suit with their AHL/waiver-eligible players as the Sept. 15 CBA expiration date draws near — the NHL has opened up a special waiver period with a lockout on the horizon.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)