Sep 13, 2012, 11:37 AM EST
The Boston Bruins have made a “clerical move” in advance of what appears to be a certain lockout.
According to Joe Haggerty of CSNNE, the B’s have put four players — center Trent Whitfield, defenseman Garnet Exelby, forward Christian Hanson and winger Jamie Tardif — on waivers, for the purpose of sending them to the AHL.
Exelby, 31, and Whitfield, 35, are the two most vested veterans of the group. Exelby has over 400 games of NHL experience while Whitfield, a Boston draft pick in 1996, has played nearly 200 NHL games for the Capitals, Rangers, Blues and Bruins.
More, from Haggerty:
None of the four players were expected to break the Bruins roster out of training camp, but they would have been full participants in Boston’s NHL camp set to start on Sept. 21.
Instead those players now need to be sent to Providence for the opening of P-Bruins camp on Sept. 28, and must first pass through waivers over next few days before being able to prepare for Providence.
It’s likely that other teams will follow suit with their AHL/waiver-eligible players as the Sept. 15 CBA expiration date draws near — the NHL has opened up a special waiver period with a lockout on the horizon.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 1
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 16
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)