Sep 13, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
Long known as a tireless and relentless taskmaster, new Calgary head coach Bob Hartley isn’t letting the prospect of a lockout prevent him from planning Flames training camp.
Intricately planning training camp.
“Down to the smallest details,” he explained to the Calgary Herald. “We’ve got the drills planned. The sessions mapped out. We’ve even got the teams picked.
“We’ve got our flights arranged. Our practice times decided. You can ask anyone working on the staff — trainers, equipment people, medical, video guys. We’ve got to be pro-active.
“We have a checklist drawn up: Who’s in charge of the fruits, the bagels, the timekeepers, the referees, the coaches. Everything.”
Aside from checkmarking the breakfast buffet, Hartley is also attending to some hockey-related business.
He’s sent out questionnaires to various Flames players and met with “seven to 10 players” already. Some of those were subjected to two-hour meetings with Hartley, who clearly isn’t messing around after getting his first NHL gig in five years.
“We’re proceeding as if training camp is starting on time,” he said. “As if the season’s starting on time. As if it’s business as usual.”
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 6
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 38
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)