Sep 13, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
Long known as a tireless and relentless taskmaster, new Calgary head coach Bob Hartley isn’t letting the prospect of a lockout prevent him from planning Flames training camp.
Intricately planning training camp.
“Down to the smallest details,” he explained to the Calgary Herald. “We’ve got the drills planned. The sessions mapped out. We’ve even got the teams picked.
“We’ve got our flights arranged. Our practice times decided. You can ask anyone working on the staff — trainers, equipment people, medical, video guys. We’ve got to be pro-active.
“We have a checklist drawn up: Who’s in charge of the fruits, the bagels, the timekeepers, the referees, the coaches. Everything.”
Aside from checkmarking the breakfast buffet, Hartley is also attending to some hockey-related business.
He’s sent out questionnaires to various Flames players and met with “seven to 10 players” already. Some of those were subjected to two-hour meetings with Hartley, who clearly isn’t messing around after getting his first NHL gig in five years.
“We’re proceeding as if training camp is starting on time,” he said. “As if the season’s starting on time. As if it’s business as usual.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)