Sep 12, 2012, 8:07 PM EST
Wednesday was an eventful day as far as the ongoing CBA negotiations are concerned, but was it a meaningful one?
As is often the case, the Twitterverse was littered with reactions regarding today’s NHL and NHLPA proposals and the press conferences that followed. Below is a sampling of some of the more interesting and noteworthy tweets from hockey writers and analysts.
Fair warning though, there wasn’t much optimism about the chances of avoiding a lockout, as evidenced by Pierre LeBrun, Nick Kypreos, and Jesse Spector’s comments:
My own read on today: this is not close from ending. Still far, far apart
— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) September 12, 2012
— Nick Kypreos (@RealKyper) September 12, 2012
18 minutes of Fehr solo, 12 minutes of questions. Maybe 20 seconds where you could feel optimistic.
— Jesse Spector (@jessespector) September 12, 2012
As Aaron Ward points out, the players and owners are still stuck on the core economics, but there are other big issues that need to be addressed:
Direction of CBA negotiations centered on core economics only.No traction on Free Agency,ELS,Arbitration and contract length. #TSN
— Aaron Ward (@aaronward_nhl) September 12, 2012
Jim Matheson thinks this will all eventually end with the owners emerging victorious:
NHL players are definitely the show but owners run the stage. It’s their company, their risk, they pay bills. Eventually, they’ll win fight.
— Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) September 12, 2012
Wouldn’t it have been nice if the negotiations for the current CBA had started months earlier?
Saddest reality of #CBA fiasco: This could have been avoided, might have been had talks started before early summer. There is a doable deal.
— Rob Rossi (@RobRossi_Trib) September 12, 2012
Finally, if you’re looking for someone who’s projecting a ray of hope, Nick Cotsonika is your man:
Bettman issued an ultimatum, but he did it with a clear message that the NHL has more wiggle room. Again, there is a deal to be made.
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) September 12, 2012
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 5
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 3
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 9
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15