Sep 12, 2012, 8:07 PM EDT
Wednesday was an eventful day as far as the ongoing CBA negotiations are concerned, but was it a meaningful one?
As is often the case, the Twitterverse was littered with reactions regarding today’s NHL and NHLPA proposals and the press conferences that followed. Below is a sampling of some of the more interesting and noteworthy tweets from hockey writers and analysts.
Fair warning though, there wasn’t much optimism about the chances of avoiding a lockout, as evidenced by Pierre LeBrun, Nick Kypreos, and Jesse Spector’s comments:
My own read on today: this is not close from ending. Still far, far apart
— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) September 12, 2012
— Nick Kypreos (@RealKyper) September 12, 2012
18 minutes of Fehr solo, 12 minutes of questions. Maybe 20 seconds where you could feel optimistic.
— Jesse Spector (@jessespector) September 12, 2012
As Aaron Ward points out, the players and owners are still stuck on the core economics, but there are other big issues that need to be addressed:
Direction of CBA negotiations centered on core economics only.No traction on Free Agency,ELS,Arbitration and contract length. #TSN
— Aaron Ward (@aaronward_nhl) September 12, 2012
Jim Matheson thinks this will all eventually end with the owners emerging victorious:
NHL players are definitely the show but owners run the stage. It’s their company, their risk, they pay bills. Eventually, they’ll win fight.
— Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) September 12, 2012
Wouldn’t it have been nice if the negotiations for the current CBA had started months earlier?
Saddest reality of #CBA fiasco: This could have been avoided, might have been had talks started before early summer. There is a doable deal.
— Rob Rossi (@RobRossi_Trib) September 12, 2012
Finally, if you’re looking for someone who’s projecting a ray of hope, Nick Cotsonika is your man:
Bettman issued an ultimatum, but he did it with a clear message that the NHL has more wiggle room. Again, there is a deal to be made.
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) September 12, 2012
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (53)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)