Sep 12, 2012, 8:07 PM EDT
Wednesday was an eventful day as far as the ongoing CBA negotiations are concerned, but was it a meaningful one?
As is often the case, the Twitterverse was littered with reactions regarding today’s NHL and NHLPA proposals and the press conferences that followed. Below is a sampling of some of the more interesting and noteworthy tweets from hockey writers and analysts.
Fair warning though, there wasn’t much optimism about the chances of avoiding a lockout, as evidenced by Pierre LeBrun, Nick Kypreos, and Jesse Spector’s comments:
My own read on today: this is not close from ending. Still far, far apart
— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) September 12, 2012
— Nick Kypreos (@RealKyper) September 12, 2012
18 minutes of Fehr solo, 12 minutes of questions. Maybe 20 seconds where you could feel optimistic.
— Jesse Spector (@jessespector) September 12, 2012
As Aaron Ward points out, the players and owners are still stuck on the core economics, but there are other big issues that need to be addressed:
Direction of CBA negotiations centered on core economics only.No traction on Free Agency,ELS,Arbitration and contract length. #TSN
— Aaron Ward (@aaronward_nhl) September 12, 2012
Jim Matheson thinks this will all eventually end with the owners emerging victorious:
NHL players are definitely the show but owners run the stage. It’s their company, their risk, they pay bills. Eventually, they’ll win fight.
— Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) September 12, 2012
Wouldn’t it have been nice if the negotiations for the current CBA had started months earlier?
Saddest reality of #CBA fiasco: This could have been avoided, might have been had talks started before early summer. There is a doable deal.
— Rob Rossi (@RobRossi_Trib) September 12, 2012
Finally, if you’re looking for someone who’s projecting a ray of hope, Nick Cotsonika is your man:
Bettman issued an ultimatum, but he did it with a clear message that the NHL has more wiggle room. Again, there is a deal to be made.
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) September 12, 2012
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 2
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)