Sep 12, 2012, 8:07 PM EDT
Wednesday was an eventful day as far as the ongoing CBA negotiations are concerned, but was it a meaningful one?
As is often the case, the Twitterverse was littered with reactions regarding today’s NHL and NHLPA proposals and the press conferences that followed. Below is a sampling of some of the more interesting and noteworthy tweets from hockey writers and analysts.
Fair warning though, there wasn’t much optimism about the chances of avoiding a lockout, as evidenced by Pierre LeBrun, Nick Kypreos, and Jesse Spector’s comments:
My own read on today: this is not close from ending. Still far, far apart
— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) September 12, 2012
— Nick Kypreos (@RealKyper) September 12, 2012
18 minutes of Fehr solo, 12 minutes of questions. Maybe 20 seconds where you could feel optimistic.
— Jesse Spector (@jessespector) September 12, 2012
As Aaron Ward points out, the players and owners are still stuck on the core economics, but there are other big issues that need to be addressed:
Direction of CBA negotiations centered on core economics only.No traction on Free Agency,ELS,Arbitration and contract length. #TSN
— Aaron Ward (@aaronward_nhl) September 12, 2012
Jim Matheson thinks this will all eventually end with the owners emerging victorious:
NHL players are definitely the show but owners run the stage. It’s their company, their risk, they pay bills. Eventually, they’ll win fight.
— Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) September 12, 2012
Wouldn’t it have been nice if the negotiations for the current CBA had started months earlier?
Saddest reality of #CBA fiasco: This could have been avoided, might have been had talks started before early summer. There is a doable deal.
— Rob Rossi (@RobRossi_Trib) September 12, 2012
Finally, if you’re looking for someone who’s projecting a ray of hope, Nick Cotsonika is your man:
Bettman issued an ultimatum, but he did it with a clear message that the NHL has more wiggle room. Again, there is a deal to be made.
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) September 12, 2012
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)