Sep 12, 2012, 11:14 AM EST
Even though he’s retired, Mats Sundin will be plenty busy this season.
The all-time leading scorer in Maple Leafs history — and 2012 Hockey Hall of Fame inductee — has been named as an adviser for the Swedish Ice Hockey Association, according to a report from Swehockey.se.
Sundin will serve alongside the Tre Kronor braintrust — GM Tommy Boustedt, head coach Par Marts and assistants Roger Ronnberg and Peter Popovic — in what promises to be a big year for Team Sweden.
The 2013 World Hockey Championships will be hosted in Stockholm (along with Helsinki) and the Swedes will be looking to make amends for last year’s disastrous finish — they were knocked out in the quarterfinal stage and finished in sixth place.
It marked the first time in four years the Swedes didn’t medal at the tournament.
Looking further ahead, the hire could be a precursor to Sundin playing a big role in Team Sweden’s entry at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Sundin was a key member of the gold medal-winning side at the 2006 games in Turin, arguably the biggest victory in Swedish hockey history.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 2
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 107
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (108)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)