Sep 12, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
Even though he’s retired, Mats Sundin will be plenty busy this season.
The all-time leading scorer in Maple Leafs history — and 2012 Hockey Hall of Fame inductee — has been named as an adviser for the Swedish Ice Hockey Association, according to a report from Swehockey.se.
Sundin will serve alongside the Tre Kronor braintrust — GM Tommy Boustedt, head coach Par Marts and assistants Roger Ronnberg and Peter Popovic — in what promises to be a big year for Team Sweden.
The 2013 World Hockey Championships will be hosted in Stockholm (along with Helsinki) and the Swedes will be looking to make amends for last year’s disastrous finish — they were knocked out in the quarterfinal stage and finished in sixth place.
It marked the first time in four years the Swedes didn’t medal at the tournament.
Looking further ahead, the hire could be a precursor to Sundin playing a big role in Team Sweden’s entry at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Sundin was a key member of the gold medal-winning side at the 2006 games in Turin, arguably the biggest victory in Swedish hockey history.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 42
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)