Sep 12, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have added five more local investors to their ownership group, including Hall of Famer and former ‘Cane Ron Francis.
“It is very encouraging that these locally-based investors feel so strongly about our franchise and its future,” said the club’s owner, Peter Karmanos, in a release.
In November, the Hurricanes added 10 investors that were expected to help pay down the team’s debt.
It’s not clear what this latest capital infusion will be put towards, but it’s worth noting that Carolina has committed itself to a couple of big contracts this summer.
—- Jeff Skinner: 6 years, $34.35 million
—- Jordan Staal: 10 years, $60 million
The Hurricanes also signed forward Alex Semin to a one-year, $7 million deal.
According to CapGeek, their salary payroll for 2012-13 is at $57,335,000, the 19th highest in the NHL.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)