Sep 12, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT
Subban, 23, is an RFA that’s spent the entire summer negotiating a new contract. An earlier report from TSN claimed the Canadiens had offered a two-year, $5.5 million deal for the speedy defenseman — one that Subban’s camp rejected — and talk from both sides throughout the offseason has been of the “we’re working on it” and “hopefully something will get done soon” variety.
According to Raymond, that narrative may have changed.
From RDS (translated):
There have been talks with the Philadelphia Flyers about his controversial defender, a thoroughbred that will always be hard to tame and whose attitude could possibly irritate [head coach Michel] Therrien…
…Presumably, the Flyers took the lead in trying to inquire about the status of the Subban. Is it available in the event that the offer is interesting enough [for] Montreal? Who knows how things happened between the two teams? Certainly they have chatted.
It’s not overly surprising Philly would make a play for Subban, especially after submitting a 14-year, $110 million offer sheet to Nashville’s Shea Weber, a deal the Preds eventually matched.
The Flyers need defensemen — they’ll likely start the season without Chris Pronger (concussion), Andrej Meszaros (Achilles) and Andreas Lilja (hip) — and have been unabashedly bold in their pursuit of talent.
There’s also a sense of immediacy from the organization. As Raymond points out in his piece, Flyers owner Ed Snider is almost 80 years old and his recent investments (paying huge for Ilya Bryzgalov chief among them) suggest he wants a run at the Stanley Cup, and wants it soon.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 3
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 24
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 14
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)