Sep 12, 2012, 12:25 PM EST
Subban, 23, is an RFA that’s spent the entire summer negotiating a new contract. An earlier report from TSN claimed the Canadiens had offered a two-year, $5.5 million deal for the speedy defenseman — one that Subban’s camp rejected — and talk from both sides throughout the offseason has been of the “we’re working on it” and “hopefully something will get done soon” variety.
According to Raymond, that narrative may have changed.
From RDS (translated):
There have been talks with the Philadelphia Flyers about his controversial defender, a thoroughbred that will always be hard to tame and whose attitude could possibly irritate [head coach Michel] Therrien…
…Presumably, the Flyers took the lead in trying to inquire about the status of the Subban. Is it available in the event that the offer is interesting enough [for] Montreal? Who knows how things happened between the two teams? Certainly they have chatted.
It’s not overly surprising Philly would make a play for Subban, especially after submitting a 14-year, $110 million offer sheet to Nashville’s Shea Weber, a deal the Preds eventually matched.
The Flyers need defensemen — they’ll likely start the season without Chris Pronger (concussion), Andrej Meszaros (Achilles) and Andreas Lilja (hip) — and have been unabashedly bold in their pursuit of talent.
There’s also a sense of immediacy from the organization. As Raymond points out in his piece, Flyers owner Ed Snider is almost 80 years old and his recent investments (paying huge for Ilya Bryzgalov chief among them) suggest he wants a run at the Stanley Cup, and wants it soon.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 0
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)