Sep 12, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
The current CBA is set to expire on Saturday, but Detroit might take a significant step towards addressing their defensive problems before that happens.
Carlo Colaiacovo is close to inking with Detroit, although Red Wings GM Ken Holland said nothing has been signed yet, according to the Detroit News.
The contract is expected to be in the ballpark of $5 million over two seasons.
Colaiacovo is capable of eating minutes and can chip in offensively, so he would definitely provide them with a boost. What he can’t be counted on to do is replace the star power they’ve lost over the past couple of seasons with the retirements of Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski before that.
It’s also worth noting that Colaiacovo has never managed to play a full season at the NHL level. The closest he came was in 2008-09 when he played in 73 games between the St. Louis Blues and Toronto Maple Leafs. Over the last three seasons, he’s played in 196 of a possible 246 regular season contests.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 19
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4