Sep 12, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
NHL legends Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr believe that if there is a lockout, it will be brief.
Gretzky told CTV Atlantic that players and owners will find a way to get something done.
“I really think this one won’t be as long as the last one,” Gretzky said. “I think somehow, some way, both sides will come together and we’ll be playing hockey sooner rather than later.”
Orr would be surprised if a lockout ends up being much more than a speed bump.
“I just can’t believe they won’t get together,” Orr said. “There may be a short delay, but I can’t believe it will be more than a short time. It would be so silly.”
Then again, Gretzky also echoes Gary Bettman’s words about fans returning after the last lockout.
“The game itself, though, is such an enjoyable sport and such a way of life in a lot of cities that ultimately a lot of fans will come back, although being upset and being mad,” Gretzky said. “They enjoy the game too much.”
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner)
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)