Sep 12, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
NHL legends Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr believe that if there is a lockout, it will be brief.
Gretzky told CTV Atlantic that players and owners will find a way to get something done.
“I really think this one won’t be as long as the last one,” Gretzky said. “I think somehow, some way, both sides will come together and we’ll be playing hockey sooner rather than later.”
Orr would be surprised if a lockout ends up being much more than a speed bump.
“I just can’t believe they won’t get together,” Orr said. “There may be a short delay, but I can’t believe it will be more than a short time. It would be so silly.”
Then again, Gretzky also echoes Gary Bettman’s words about fans returning after the last lockout.
“The game itself, though, is such an enjoyable sport and such a way of life in a lot of cities that ultimately a lot of fans will come back, although being upset and being mad,” Gretzky said. “They enjoy the game too much.”
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)