Sep 12, 2012, 12:07 PM EDT
The NHLPA has been largely successful getting the fans and media on its side during the CBA negotiations with the owners, but as we saw this week in Calgary, the players aren’t throwing a perfect game in the PR department.
In case you missed it, Monday it was reported that the Flames would skip Thursday’s annual charity golf tournament en masse in order to attend union meetings in New York City.
Tuesday, they woke up to the following front page on the Calgary Sun:
Not surprisingly, the players scurried into damage control, with Matt Stajan saying there had been a “mix-up” (yes, that’s what he called it) and a number of Flames would indeed be golfing Thursday.
This morning, the Sun’s front page looked like this:
Bit of a lesson there – when you make a lot of money, don’t bail on charity functions you’ve already committed to.
Doesn’t look great.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 2
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 2
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)