Sep 12, 2012, 12:07 PM EDT
The NHLPA has been largely successful getting the fans and media on its side during the CBA negotiations with the owners, but as we saw this week in Calgary, the players aren’t throwing a perfect game in the PR department.
In case you missed it, Monday it was reported that the Flames would skip Thursday’s annual charity golf tournament en masse in order to attend union meetings in New York City.
Tuesday, they woke up to the following front page on the Calgary Sun:
Not surprisingly, the players scurried into damage control, with Matt Stajan saying there had been a “mix-up” (yes, that’s what he called it) and a number of Flames would indeed be golfing Thursday.
This morning, the Sun’s front page looked like this:
Bit of a lesson there – when you make a lot of money, don’t bail on charity functions you’ve already committed to.
Doesn’t look great.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)