Sep 12, 2012, 4:57 PM EST
Today in Edmonton, Oilers ownership asked city council to commit even more money to help build a new downtown arena for the club.
City council said no.
From the Edmonton Journal:
The discussion was held in private. Mayor Stephen Mandel wouldn’t say how much money the Katz Group was asking for when he spoke with the media outside the council chambers.
Asked if he was still optimistic the arena will be built, Mandel said “optimistic might not be the best word.
“Frustrated might be a better word,” he said.
Regardless, it’s hard to imagine the entire project coming off the rails.
Let’s just call it a hiccup for now.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 37
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 75
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (75)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)