Sep 12, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
2012 continues to be a good year for Jeremy Welsh.
The former NCAA standout — who, in April, signed an entry-level deal less than 48 hours after playing in the Frozen Four — has re-upped with the Carolina Hurricanes on a two-year contract.
“Jeremy is a player we think very highly of,” ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said. “He is a big man that can play center or left wing, and has really good hockey sense.”
The deal will pay Welsh $700,000 this year and $1 million in 2013-14. It’s a nice chunk of change for the ex-Union College scoring sensation — the 6-foot-3 forward lit the lamp 27 times in 2011-12, finishing fourth in the country in goals.
Welsh, 24, made his NHL debut in Carolina’s final regular season game last year, playing 16:32 in a 4-1 loss to the Panthers.
He’s expected to make a push for a roster spot with the Hurricanes this season.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 48
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 15
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 15
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 36
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 57
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (57)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (48)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)