Sep 11, 2012, 3:48 PM EDT
The NHLPA will be holding meetings Wednesday and Thursday in New York City and they’re going to need a bigger board room to hold everyone.
Kevin Allen of USA Today reports nearly 300 players will be in attendance for what might prove to be the final round of meetings ahead of a possible lockout. Jets defenseman Ron Hainsey tells Allen the meeting is vitally important to Donald Fehr and the players.
“If players have questions about what’s told to them, or about what happens going forward, it’s paramount that those questions get asked,” said Hainsey, a member of the NHLPA bargaining team.
One of the questions that could be floated out there is why hasn’t there been another counter proposal from the union? The NHL and its owners have cited the lack of response to their latest proposal as a reason talks have quieted down dramatically.
Perhaps with that many members in the room to discuss things some late progress can be made to counter the owners, but that could be a pipe dream. The two sides aren’t exchanging ideas and we appear headed for the sport’s third lockout since 1994-95.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)