Sep 11, 2012, 3:48 PM EST
The NHLPA will be holding meetings Wednesday and Thursday in New York City and they’re going to need a bigger board room to hold everyone.
Kevin Allen of USA Today reports nearly 300 players will be in attendance for what might prove to be the final round of meetings ahead of a possible lockout. Jets defenseman Ron Hainsey tells Allen the meeting is vitally important to Donald Fehr and the players.
“If players have questions about what’s told to them, or about what happens going forward, it’s paramount that those questions get asked,” said Hainsey, a member of the NHLPA bargaining team.
One of the questions that could be floated out there is why hasn’t there been another counter proposal from the union? The NHL and its owners have cited the lack of response to their latest proposal as a reason talks have quieted down dramatically.
Perhaps with that many members in the room to discuss things some late progress can be made to counter the owners, but that could be a pipe dream. The two sides aren’t exchanging ideas and we appear headed for the sport’s third lockout since 1994-95.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)