Sep 11, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
After months of negotiations and speculation, downtown Seattle is getting their arena.
The Seattle City Council reached a tentative agreement with real estate developer Chris Hansen to build an arena downtown in the city.
The cost? $490 million.
There is a bit of public money being put to use in this deal as up to $200 million would be used to improve the roads around the new arena to help alleviate potential traffic issues. Hansen may also be required to purchase Key Arena and the land around it at a later date to save the city from owning an aging, obsolete building.
Last week, Hansen completed the purchase of more land downtown in order to secure the area he’d need to construct the new facility and the city is hailed by investors as being a great future location for an NHL franchise. Hansen’s main reason for the new arena is to bring the NBA back to town, but the NHL would also be welcomed there.
At the very least, should things not work out in Phoenix with the Coyotes, there’s a highly intriguing American location that will have a brand spanking new arena in the near future to lean on.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 0
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 10
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 11
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)