Sep 11, 2012, 10:18 PM EDT
EA Sports released NHL 13 for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 today (unless you’re a European PS3 owner – then you get it Wednesday).
Various Web sites already have reviews for the only major console hockey game, so let’s take a brisk look around.
- Game Informer loves the game “between the whistles,” but states that the computer-operated GMs make enough poor decisions to “break the fantasy.” The Wall Street Journal seems smitten with the changes, though.
- The dramatically altered skating draws mixed reactions. Game Trailers praised the bump in realism yet also stated that the tweaks might not make for a more enjoyable game. The Verge raves that the system gets at “the heart of the game.” Xbox Magazine is somewhere in between, viewing the change as a bridge between an even bigger leap in gameplay.
- Should you buy it if you own NHL 12, though? Canadian Online Gamers and Operation Sports are among the venues who lean toward yes while Game Revolution isn’t so sure.
The game hasn’t been available for very long just yet, but what are your thoughts so far?
If you want a humorous take on NHL 13′s release, take a look at Sean McIndoe’s piece.
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 0
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 1
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 11
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2