Sep 11, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
Seguinistas everywhere can celebrate today.
The Bruins announced they’ve signed Tyler Seguin to a six-year extension worth $5.75 million per season, good for a total of $34.5 million over the course of the deal. Both the Bruins and Seguin wanted to get a deal done before the CBA expires on the 15th and pulled it off with a deal that works out to be a bit of a bargain compared to other deals finished recently.
Consider this: Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle each got $6 million per season from the Edmonton Oilers (Hall for seven years, Eberle for six) with their extensions while Jeff Skinner‘s deal with Carolina is virtually identical to Seguin’s. If nothing else, the bar was set for how to extend the deal of an up and coming NHL star.
Seguin had a breakout season last year scoring 29 goals and finishing the year with 67 points in just his second NHL season. After winning the Stanley Cup in his rookie season, he’s got a pretty charmed life going right now. Those speed dating events he’s doing should get a lot more popular now.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 38
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 25
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)