Sep 11, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Seguinistas everywhere can celebrate today.
The Bruins announced they’ve signed Tyler Seguin to a six-year extension worth $5.75 million per season, good for a total of $34.5 million over the course of the deal. Both the Bruins and Seguin wanted to get a deal done before the CBA expires on the 15th and pulled it off with a deal that works out to be a bit of a bargain compared to other deals finished recently.
Consider this: Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle each got $6 million per season from the Edmonton Oilers (Hall for seven years, Eberle for six) with their extensions while Jeff Skinner‘s deal with Carolina is virtually identical to Seguin’s. If nothing else, the bar was set for how to extend the deal of an up and coming NHL star.
Seguin had a breakout season last year scoring 29 goals and finishing the year with 67 points in just his second NHL season. After winning the Stanley Cup in his rookie season, he’s got a pretty charmed life going right now. Those speed dating events he’s doing should get a lot more popular now.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)