Sep 11, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Seguinistas everywhere can celebrate today.
The Bruins announced they’ve signed Tyler Seguin to a six-year extension worth $5.75 million per season, good for a total of $34.5 million over the course of the deal. Both the Bruins and Seguin wanted to get a deal done before the CBA expires on the 15th and pulled it off with a deal that works out to be a bit of a bargain compared to other deals finished recently.
Consider this: Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle each got $6 million per season from the Edmonton Oilers (Hall for seven years, Eberle for six) with their extensions while Jeff Skinner‘s deal with Carolina is virtually identical to Seguin’s. If nothing else, the bar was set for how to extend the deal of an up and coming NHL star.
Seguin had a breakout season last year scoring 29 goals and finishing the year with 67 points in just his second NHL season. After winning the Stanley Cup in his rookie season, he’s got a pretty charmed life going right now. Those speed dating events he’s doing should get a lot more popular now.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)