Sep 10, 2012, 11:27 AM EST
Former NHL defenseman Brent Sopel is upset that Chicago Public Schools teachers are going out on strike and thinks they should just be happy to have a job.
“CPS teachers strike during this economy. Be happy you have a job in a profession YOU chose. #wasteoftime,” Sopel tweeted Monday morning.
Not surprisingly, his tweet – which comes while the NHLPA is engaged in labor negotiations with the league – generated its share of backlash.
To which Sopel responded with: “All who would like to throw out the hockey comments because of my CPS comments just remember that hockey isn’t funded by tax payers. #truth”
And: “Go ahead and hate me because I have an opinion. I donate countless hours to charity and put my money where my mouth is. #securewithme.”
And: “Yes arenas are funded with tax payer money. Along with that they bring jobs and revenue to the cities. Gov. money doesn’t fund our pension.”
So there you go, teachers. Start bringing jobs and revenue to cities and maybe Sopel will be a little more sympathetic. But if all you’re going to do is teach kids to read and write, get back to work.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)