Skip to content

Sabres owner has no comment on CBA negotiations: “I don’t want to lose draft picks”

Sep 10, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT

Terry Pegula AP

Sabres owner Terry Pegula isn’t about to risk stepping out of line.

When asked this morning about the current CBA negotiations between the NHL and the players, Pegula would only tell the Buffalo News: “I can’t tell you anything, just that talks continue. I don’t want to lose draft picks.”

Presumably losing draft picks would be a fine the NHL could levy on an individual owner for undermining the owners’ collective position.

Miami Heat owner Micky Arison was fined $500,000 for comments he made during last year’s NBA lockout.

Related: “I want us to play hockey,” says Rangers owner

  1. bcsteele - Sep 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM

    I’m not saying this is the case, but given all the hear-say going on with the owners, I feel like it’s only the big owners and Bettman that are running the show while the others are pretty well being threatened to keep their mouth’s shut.

    Hopefully we see some serious moves this week from both sides…

    • hystoracle - Sep 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM

      Oh, there will be serious moves alright. Seriously, the lockout begins on Saturday. Bank on it. Both sides are hell bent on it. Unwilling to actually negotiate with each other. (if they were they would be in the same room for more than 2 hours at a time and more than once a week). I really don’t hear the lip service from either side. Regardless of the finger pointing, the end result for the fan is no hockey.

  2. mclovinhockey - Sep 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM

    Apparently the other Canadian teams are trying to do what the habs are. Worst case scenario, we have a 7 team season next year and the cup goes to Canada. Best case, no lockout.

    • bcsteele - Sep 10, 2012 at 1:21 PM

      I know Toronto and Ottawa already have full permission to lock out their players. The only reason the other teams are even in a position to challenge it, to my understanding anyway, is because the owners of a few of these teams messed up the approval process.

    • hystoracle - Sep 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM

      Don’t expect any games to actually be played. At least not any that count for anything. Even if they are barred from locking the players from the building, there is nothing the government can do to actually force them to hold practices let alone games. If the season is suspended there is no reason to practice.

  3. travishenryskid - Sep 10, 2012 at 1:35 PM

    Pegula won’t talk because the NHL owners position will hurt his club and what he’s trying to create in Buffalo. As a Buffalo fan, this just seems like another case where the sports gods are playing a mean joke on us. We finally get an owner who will allow us to play with the big boys, and the NHL immediately steps in to block the advantage that we have been missing for 40+ seasons.

  4. mclovinhockey - Sep 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM

    Really, last I heard from RDS a few minutes ago didn’t mention that Ontario said they would allow a lockout. I think the players themselves are going against the team or something. Not sure.

Sign up for Fantasy hockey

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. S. Crosby (2566)
  2. R. Johansen (2304)
  3. E. Malkin (2095)
  4. P. Datsyuk (2079)
  5. D. Stepan (1967)
  1. J. Drouin (1890)
  2. F. Forsberg (1818)
  3. T. Krug (1742)
  4. J. Staal (1725)
  5. C. Giroux (1701)