Report: Lockout could cost Boston businesses “roughly $1M” per game

Sep 10, 2012, 10:28 PM EST

Washington Capitals v Boston Bruins - Game Five Getty Images

Businesses near the Boston Bruins’ TD Garden could lose as much as $1 million per locked out game, according to the Boston Business Journal.

“Roughly each [Bruins] home game is worth anywhere between $850,000 to $1 million,” said Pat Moscaritolo, CEO of the Greater Boston Convention & Visitors Bureau. “… Money that is generated outside the four walls of TD Garden. That means spending in the North End, North Station area, spending at restaurants and sports bars, sports paraphernalia, etc.”

James Brooks writes that “anxiety is slowly overtaking” shops around the area.

Restaurant owner Peter Colton paints a grim future for sales during a lockout.

“Without those events, we wouldn’t be here, a lot of other businesses wouldn’t be here,” Colton said. “People don’t come home here at the end of the day, they don’t live here, for the most part.”

1. ricepilof - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I’m pretty sure the owners or players could care less. I guess this is why MLB does so well having 81 home games per year. Think of all the extra income businesses would have with if there were 40 more home games a year in the NHL season!!!! If I were an owner I’d push for at least 100 games in a season, make these players WORK for their millions. Helps local business and players can get their extra money they so desperately need.

• hockeyflow33 - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM

You can’t extrapolate numbers that way. I don’t have the numbers but I would imagine that based on a per game average, MLB is the least impactful of the four majors because of the number of games.

• windmiller4 - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:53 AM

You need to remember the physical strain an 82 game season takes on a hockey player. Simply put, baseball can play as many games as they want because its not a physical sport and you don’t have to exert the same effort to play as you do in hockey. Not saying anything bad about baseball, but its already tough on players to go 82 games plus playoffs, from the health standpoint of the players 100+ games can only hurt them in the long run.

2. hockeyknowledge - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:19 AM

If Boston is affected this much, what about cities like Detroit or Pittsburg.

• homelanddefense - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Im not sure what you are getting at with that comment. Do you think Boston isnt a hockey city?

• richter35lundqvist30 - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM

He’s probably just pointing out that Boston is a much stronger city compared to Detroit and Pittsburgh regarding peoples ability to go out and spend extra money around the arena when they go to a game. Nothing against DET and PIT they’re nice cities but Boston is in better shape right now with jobs and the economy.

• homelanddefense - Sep 11, 2012 at 2:52 PM

if that is the case then I definitely misinterpreted him

3. habsflop - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM

In other news I will have to spend WAY more time with my wife than I previosly expected to this fall/winter. Or I can watch NBA….cause boy do I love watching DUNKS!! I guess the wife it is…Damn you Bettman

4. micklethepickle - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Financial savings by belligerent drunks estimated to be twice that amount, however.

5. mclovinhockey - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Imagine the NHL with 80 home games in places like let’s say, Phx or NJ…. They lose money every game, then they lose twice as much. 40 home games is good for the teams.

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches