Sep 10, 2012, 5:31 PM EST
The New York Rangers have agreed to terms with UFA defenseman Steve Eminger on a one-year deal worth $750,000, according to the New York Post.
Eminger, 28, spent last year with the Rangers on a one-year, $800,000 deal — meaning yes, he took a pay cut — appearing in 42 games while recording 2G-3A-5PTS.
Eminger also appeared in four postseason contests with the Blueshirts, including a whopping two minutes in the sixth and deciding game of the Eastern Conference final, a 3-2 OT loss to New Jersey.
The move is a depth signing, something the New York defense needed after shipping Tim Erixon to Columbus in the Rick Nash trade and the uncertainty surrounding Michael Sauer‘s return from a concussion. (The Rangers also lost Jeff Woywitka to free agency, as he signed in St. Louis.)
Eminger, the 12th overall pick in 2002, has spent time with the Capitals, Flyers, Lightning, Panthers and Ducks before landing with the Rangers.
His career year came in 2008-09, when he posted 4G-19A-23PTS in 71 games with Philadelphia, Tampa Bay and Florida.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 9
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 85
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 79
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 46
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 171
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (171)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (79)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)