Sep 10, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
The New York Rangers have agreed to terms with UFA defenseman Steve Eminger on a one-year deal worth $750,000, according to the New York Post.
Eminger, 28, spent last year with the Rangers on a one-year, $800,000 deal — meaning yes, he took a pay cut — appearing in 42 games while recording 2G-3A-5PTS.
Eminger also appeared in four postseason contests with the Blueshirts, including a whopping two minutes in the sixth and deciding game of the Eastern Conference final, a 3-2 OT loss to New Jersey.
The move is a depth signing, something the New York defense needed after shipping Tim Erixon to Columbus in the Rick Nash trade and the uncertainty surrounding Michael Sauer‘s return from a concussion. (The Rangers also lost Jeff Woywitka to free agency, as he signed in St. Louis.)
Eminger, the 12th overall pick in 2002, has spent time with the Capitals, Flyers, Lightning, Panthers and Ducks before landing with the Rangers.
His career year came in 2008-09, when he posted 4G-19A-23PTS in 71 games with Philadelphia, Tampa Bay and Florida.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 6
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 23
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 90
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 81
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 17
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (90)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)