Sep 10, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
If you wanted to ask someone about the ongoing negotiations between the NHL and players’ union, the Edmonton Oilers’ new head coach, Ralph Krueger, might not be your best bet.
“I’m barely following the negotiations,” Krueger said in an Edmonton Sun report.
What he is doing is thinking a lot about line combinations for when the season does start.
“I do like to look at the line-up,” Krueger said. “I do a lot of thinking looking at the line-up. Different line combinations. Defensive pairings. And I go through the worst case scenarios all the time.”
Monday marks the start of Krueger’s season, even though it remains to be seen if there will be a lockout. Fortunately, he thinks a dedicated focus to the things he can control is one of his strengths.
Whenever the season starts, the Edmonton Oilers will be a team to watch. Their record over the last few seasons has been horrendous, but it’s allowed them to build through the draft. Now their team has a very appealing young core in Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, and Justin Schultz.
All the same, they still have some very noteworthy holes and it remains to be seen how successful Krueger will be in his efforts to take this promising, but unproven club, and turn them into actual contenders.
“Watch out,” Krueger said. “We’re ready to take a step here.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)