Sep 10, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
If you wanted to ask someone about the ongoing negotiations between the NHL and players’ union, the Edmonton Oilers’ new head coach, Ralph Krueger, might not be your best bet.
“I’m barely following the negotiations,” Krueger said in an Edmonton Sun report.
What he is doing is thinking a lot about line combinations for when the season does start.
“I do like to look at the line-up,” Krueger said. “I do a lot of thinking looking at the line-up. Different line combinations. Defensive pairings. And I go through the worst case scenarios all the time.”
Monday marks the start of Krueger’s season, even though it remains to be seen if there will be a lockout. Fortunately, he thinks a dedicated focus to the things he can control is one of his strengths.
Whenever the season starts, the Edmonton Oilers will be a team to watch. Their record over the last few seasons has been horrendous, but it’s allowed them to build through the draft. Now their team has a very appealing young core in Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, and Justin Schultz.
All the same, they still have some very noteworthy holes and it remains to be seen how successful Krueger will be in his efforts to take this promising, but unproven club, and turn them into actual contenders.
“Watch out,” Krueger said. “We’re ready to take a step here.”
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 7
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 62
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 40
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (61)