Sep 10, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
On Monday, Andrew Ladd made it perfectly clear what he thought of the owner’s offer for a new collective bargaining agreement.
“Our offer is more on track than theirs and theirs was a pretty low-ball offer to start off with,” he told the Winnipeg Sun. “They haven’t really made any concessions so far.”
In what’s quickly becoming a negotiation where both sides are rallying the troops and digging in their heels, Ladd said the players’ union is as strong as ever — and put the stalled talks on the shoulders of the owners.
“If they didn’t start so low, maybe it would be easier to keep those discussions going,” he said. “We seem to be at an impasse right now. Everyone is kind of drawing a line in the sand and we don’t feel comfortable moving from where we are until they move a lot more.”
Ladd is a key voice in the current negotiations. He’s the Jets’ captain and one of the players set to go to New York this week for Wednesday/Thursday NHLPA meetings.
Ladd is also familiar with the framework of a lockout — the fourth overall pick in 2004, Ladd was sent back to WHL Calgary during the last lockout, which allowed him to participate with Team Canada’s gold medal-winning side at the 2005 World Juniors.
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 17
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)