Sep 10, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
On Monday, Andrew Ladd made it perfectly clear what he thought of the owner’s offer for a new collective bargaining agreement.
“Our offer is more on track than theirs and theirs was a pretty low-ball offer to start off with,” he told the Winnipeg Sun. “They haven’t really made any concessions so far.”
In what’s quickly becoming a negotiation where both sides are rallying the troops and digging in their heels, Ladd said the players’ union is as strong as ever — and put the stalled talks on the shoulders of the owners.
“If they didn’t start so low, maybe it would be easier to keep those discussions going,” he said. “We seem to be at an impasse right now. Everyone is kind of drawing a line in the sand and we don’t feel comfortable moving from where we are until they move a lot more.”
Ladd is a key voice in the current negotiations. He’s the Jets’ captain and one of the players set to go to New York this week for Wednesday/Thursday NHLPA meetings.
Ladd is also familiar with the framework of a lockout — the fourth overall pick in 2004, Ladd was sent back to WHL Calgary during the last lockout, which allowed him to participate with Team Canada’s gold medal-winning side at the 2005 World Juniors.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)