Sep 10, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
The aftermath was a lost season and months of recovery, which Eaves describes as an awful experience.
“It’s been miserable,” Eaves told the Detroit Free Press. “It’s just no fun. I’m just worried about getting better every day — that’s all I can do.”
The incident came shortly after the 28-year-old signed a three-year, $3.6 million extension with the Wings, making the injury all the more frustrating. Eaves impressed in his first two seasons with Detroit, scoring 25 goals, but the severity of the concussion led to fear for his career.
(Eaves’ father, Mike, had his time in the NHL cut short to a concussion.)
In February, Eaves told the Red Wings’ website he had a headache “pretty much all of the time” and that physical activity was limited to riding a stationary bike.
Eaves still hasn’t been cleared by team doctors or shed the headaches, but did say they occur with less frequency.
He’s now resumed skating and hanging out with teammates, which seems to have brightened his spirits.
“The bad part is behind me now,” he explained. “This is part of the progress, skating with other guys and trying to get used to that. The speed is, obviously, not what it is at training camp.
“I’m just happy to be out there with the guys.”
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 5
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)