Sep 10, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
The aftermath was a lost season and months of recovery, which Eaves describes as an awful experience.
“It’s been miserable,” Eaves told the Detroit Free Press. “It’s just no fun. I’m just worried about getting better every day — that’s all I can do.”
The incident came shortly after the 28-year-old signed a three-year, $3.6 million extension with the Wings, making the injury all the more frustrating. Eaves impressed in his first two seasons with Detroit, scoring 25 goals, but the severity of the concussion led to fear for his career.
(Eaves’ father, Mike, had his time in the NHL cut short to a concussion.)
In February, Eaves told the Red Wings’ website he had a headache “pretty much all of the time” and that physical activity was limited to riding a stationary bike.
Eaves still hasn’t been cleared by team doctors or shed the headaches, but did say they occur with less frequency.
He’s now resumed skating and hanging out with teammates, which seems to have brightened his spirits.
“The bad part is behind me now,” he explained. “This is part of the progress, skating with other guys and trying to get used to that. The speed is, obviously, not what it is at training camp.
“I’m just happy to be out there with the guys.”
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)