Sep 10, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
The aftermath was a lost season and months of recovery, which Eaves describes as an awful experience.
“It’s been miserable,” Eaves told the Detroit Free Press. “It’s just no fun. I’m just worried about getting better every day — that’s all I can do.”
The incident came shortly after the 28-year-old signed a three-year, $3.6 million extension with the Wings, making the injury all the more frustrating. Eaves impressed in his first two seasons with Detroit, scoring 25 goals, but the severity of the concussion led to fear for his career.
(Eaves’ father, Mike, had his time in the NHL cut short to a concussion.)
In February, Eaves told the Red Wings’ website he had a headache “pretty much all of the time” and that physical activity was limited to riding a stationary bike.
Eaves still hasn’t been cleared by team doctors or shed the headaches, but did say they occur with less frequency.
He’s now resumed skating and hanging out with teammates, which seems to have brightened his spirits.
“The bad part is behind me now,” he explained. “This is part of the progress, skating with other guys and trying to get used to that. The speed is, obviously, not what it is at training camp.
“I’m just happy to be out there with the guys.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)