Sep 10, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
Leafs GM Brian Burke was dying to comment on the CBA negotiations between the owners and players, but like Sabres owner Terry Pegula, he’ll let the NHL do the talking for owners and management.
“I wish I could say more,” Burke said today prior to a charity golf tournament, as per the National Post. “I mean, you guys know me: ‘no comment’ is not something that comes out of these lips easily.”
Burke did, however, speak freely on a couple of other subjects.
First, he reiterated his support for his young, number-one goalie that’s coming off a tough sophomore season:
“We believe in James Reimer. We have said, from the get-go, that if we get the opportunity to upgrade at the goaltending position, we’re going to do it. That’s still the case. But it’s not a frantic search for a goaltender. We believe in James Reimer … We believe there’s no reason why he can’t be ‘the guy.’”
The Leafs are one of the teams believed to be kicking the tires on soon-to-be-former Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo.
Burke’s other notable comment was directed at ESPN, which recently ranked the Leafs’ franchise dead last among all 122 in the NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB.
Not surprisingly, Burke disagreed with that ranking:
“I don’t think ESPN knows a single thing about hockey. I think their hockey coverage stinks. I don’t think they know anything about Canada. I don’t think they know anything about hockey.”
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 0
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 24
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)