Sep 9, 2012, 11:36 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin has been one of, if not the, biggest sports star in Washington, D.C. for years now. But now with the NFL season starting and the NHL possibly locking out, he’s got time to advise the city’s newest sensation.
Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com shares with us Ovechkin’s helpful hints to Redskins rookie star Robert Griffin III on how best to make it in the nation’s capital.
“I think he’s good right now,” Ovechkin said. “He has to be himself, that’s the most important thing. It doesn’t matter what other people say or if he’s going make a bad play or a good play. He just has to concentrate on his own [game].”
Not to read too deeply into what Ovechkin is saying, but that sounds exactly like what he does for himself. Ovechkin has always been his own guy in Washington: Exuberant, electric, and exciting, and it’s paid off well in almost every way. That Stanley Cup title still eludes him, but two MVP awards is pretty good.
If RGIII manages to follow Ovechkin’s advice to the letter, Ovi might not be the biggest star in the city for much longer.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 33
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)