Sep 9, 2012, 11:36 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin has been one of, if not the, biggest sports star in Washington, D.C. for years now. But now with the NFL season starting and the NHL possibly locking out, he’s got time to advise the city’s newest sensation.
Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com shares with us Ovechkin’s helpful hints to Redskins rookie star Robert Griffin III on how best to make it in the nation’s capital.
“I think he’s good right now,” Ovechkin said. “He has to be himself, that’s the most important thing. It doesn’t matter what other people say or if he’s going make a bad play or a good play. He just has to concentrate on his own [game].”
Not to read too deeply into what Ovechkin is saying, but that sounds exactly like what he does for himself. Ovechkin has always been his own guy in Washington: Exuberant, electric, and exciting, and it’s paid off well in almost every way. That Stanley Cup title still eludes him, but two MVP awards is pretty good.
If RGIII manages to follow Ovechkin’s advice to the letter, Ovi might not be the biggest star in the city for much longer.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)