Sep 9, 2012, 11:36 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin has been one of, if not the, biggest sports star in Washington, D.C. for years now. But now with the NFL season starting and the NHL possibly locking out, he’s got time to advise the city’s newest sensation.
Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com shares with us Ovechkin’s helpful hints to Redskins rookie star Robert Griffin III on how best to make it in the nation’s capital.
“I think he’s good right now,” Ovechkin said. “He has to be himself, that’s the most important thing. It doesn’t matter what other people say or if he’s going make a bad play or a good play. He just has to concentrate on his own [game].”
Not to read too deeply into what Ovechkin is saying, but that sounds exactly like what he does for himself. Ovechkin has always been his own guy in Washington: Exuberant, electric, and exciting, and it’s paid off well in almost every way. That Stanley Cup title still eludes him, but two MVP awards is pretty good.
If RGIII manages to follow Ovechkin’s advice to the letter, Ovi might not be the biggest star in the city for much longer.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)