Sep 9, 2012, 11:36 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin has been one of, if not the, biggest sports star in Washington, D.C. for years now. But now with the NFL season starting and the NHL possibly locking out, he’s got time to advise the city’s newest sensation.
Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com shares with us Ovechkin’s helpful hints to Redskins rookie star Robert Griffin III on how best to make it in the nation’s capital.
“I think he’s good right now,” Ovechkin said. “He has to be himself, that’s the most important thing. It doesn’t matter what other people say or if he’s going make a bad play or a good play. He just has to concentrate on his own [game].”
Not to read too deeply into what Ovechkin is saying, but that sounds exactly like what he does for himself. Ovechkin has always been his own guy in Washington: Exuberant, electric, and exciting, and it’s paid off well in almost every way. That Stanley Cup title still eludes him, but two MVP awards is pretty good.
If RGIII manages to follow Ovechkin’s advice to the letter, Ovi might not be the biggest star in the city for much longer.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 33
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 19
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 31
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 25
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 105
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (106)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement