Sep 9, 2012, 9:46 PM EDT
The current CBA is set to expire on Sept. 15 and the two sides are still far apart. If a new deal isn’t reached by the time the old CBA ends, then the NHL will presumably lock out the players.
Montreal forward Erik Cole is still hoping that a deal will be reached next week. However, the Canadiens players are prepared to go to the Quebec Labour Board if the NHL continues with their lockout threats, according to Dave Stubbs.
“The NHL seems content to lock out the players if an agreement isn’t reached this week,” Cole said, “and we would like the Quebec Labour Board to step in and inform them that their lockout would be in direct violation of the Quebec labour laws.”
Quebec law will only allow employers to lock out employees represented by a union. However, the NHLPA hasn’t been certified by the Quebec Labour Board.
“The NHLPA went to the QLB to start the process to (have the union) certified in April 2005 but the NHL formally opposed this,” NHLPA spokesperson Jonathan Weatherdon said.
“In Quebec, replacement workers can’t be used (during a lockout). Being certified would therefore have stopped the Canadiens from using scab players in Year Two of the lockout.”
It’s worth mentioning that the NHLPA is also trying to prevent the Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames from having a lockout vote by taking their case to the Alberta Labour Relations Board.
In Ontario, the Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators have already gotten permission to lock out their players on Sept. 15.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal