Sep 9, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
One of the worries many fans have about a potential work stoppage is whether or not it will cost them getting to see their favorite older superstars one more time.
Guys like Teemu Selanne and Daniel Alfredsson have flirted with retirement recently, but it looks like a lockout won’t keep the Senators captain away. Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun hears it from Alfie about where his head is at with an uncertain start to the year.
“I’m not saying I’m going to quit (playing) if there’s no hockey this year. You’ll have to quit some time,” Alfredsson says.
“You don’t always choose when that time comes. Preferably, you would like to, but I have no problem with the situation. I’m just a small piece of the puzzle. We, as the union, will do what’s right for us and what’s fair. If that means I lose a year, then so be it.”
Obviously a season-killing lockout is a worst-case scenario and one neither side wants to have happen. At the least, Alfredsson doesn’t seem to be in the mindset to ponder the end of his career, work stoppage or not.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 31
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)