Sep 9, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
One of the worries many fans have about a potential work stoppage is whether or not it will cost them getting to see their favorite older superstars one more time.
Guys like Teemu Selanne and Daniel Alfredsson have flirted with retirement recently, but it looks like a lockout won’t keep the Senators captain away. Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun hears it from Alfie about where his head is at with an uncertain start to the year.
“I’m not saying I’m going to quit (playing) if there’s no hockey this year. You’ll have to quit some time,” Alfredsson says.
“You don’t always choose when that time comes. Preferably, you would like to, but I have no problem with the situation. I’m just a small piece of the puzzle. We, as the union, will do what’s right for us and what’s fair. If that means I lose a year, then so be it.”
Obviously a season-killing lockout is a worst-case scenario and one neither side wants to have happen. At the least, Alfredsson doesn’t seem to be in the mindset to ponder the end of his career, work stoppage or not.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 48
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)