Sep 9, 2012, 11:08 PM EDT
After being taken with the ninth overall pick in 2011, Dougie Hamilton could make the leap to the NHL directly from the OHL in 2012-13. He’s coming off a great 2011-12 campaign and shone in the Canada-Russia Challenge.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli thinks highly of Hamilton, but it still wouldn’t surprise him if Hamilton hit some rough patches along the way, according to the Boston Globe.
“I saw him play in the Russian-Canada challenge series this summer,” said Chiarelli. “He’ll have his hiccups, because he’s young  and he’ll be new to the pro game, but he’s an outstanding prospect.
“He’s got size [6 feet 5 inches, 200 pounds], strength. A smart and skilled player with range. The danger is you oversell him, of course. But he’s very good.”
The Bruins have enjoyed some recent success developing another very talented prospect straight out of the OHL: Tyler Seguin.
Seguin left something to be desired in his rookie season and the Bruins limited his playing time, but he broke out last season. Hamilton could end up going down a similar path.
“No question, he’ll have to cope with a feeling-out period,” said Chiarelli. “But I think you’ll see him evolve quickly into a well-rounded player.”
Of course, it’s hard to talk about the upcoming season and not think about the fact that the current CBA is set to expire on Sept. 15. However, it’s worth noting that the NHL will reportedly have access to CHL players even if the season starts late.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 0
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 8
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)