Sep 8, 2012, 8:57 PM EDT
The collection of young talent surrounding the Edmonton Oilers has a lot of people thinking big, even those on the team.
“It’s going to be a dynamic hockey team and our goal is to make the playoffs. Then once you get there, you never know, the LA Kings are a prime example of that. It’s a whole other ball game once you get into the playoffs.”
Remember, the Kings were a team oozing with talent that just wasn’t scoring goals for a good part of the season and put it together at the end of the season and playoffs. For the Oilers to be at all like the Kings they’ll need really solid goaltending.
The team is high on Devan Dubnyk and still have a former Cup winner in Nikolai Khabibulin but it’s hard to see how they’ll just turn into a playoff team, never mind a Cup contender, overnight. The forwards will take care of their own business just fine, fixing everything else is, and has been, the major issue.
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 24
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 2
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 32
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 84
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (84)