Sep 8, 2012, 8:57 PM EST
The collection of young talent surrounding the Edmonton Oilers has a lot of people thinking big, even those on the team.
“It’s going to be a dynamic hockey team and our goal is to make the playoffs. Then once you get there, you never know, the LA Kings are a prime example of that. It’s a whole other ball game once you get into the playoffs.”
Remember, the Kings were a team oozing with talent that just wasn’t scoring goals for a good part of the season and put it together at the end of the season and playoffs. For the Oilers to be at all like the Kings they’ll need really solid goaltending.
The team is high on Devan Dubnyk and still have a former Cup winner in Nikolai Khabibulin but it’s hard to see how they’ll just turn into a playoff team, never mind a Cup contender, overnight. The forwards will take care of their own business just fine, fixing everything else is, and has been, the major issue.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)