Sep 8, 2012, 8:57 PM EST
The collection of young talent surrounding the Edmonton Oilers has a lot of people thinking big, even those on the team.
“It’s going to be a dynamic hockey team and our goal is to make the playoffs. Then once you get there, you never know, the LA Kings are a prime example of that. It’s a whole other ball game once you get into the playoffs.”
Remember, the Kings were a team oozing with talent that just wasn’t scoring goals for a good part of the season and put it together at the end of the season and playoffs. For the Oilers to be at all like the Kings they’ll need really solid goaltending.
The team is high on Devan Dubnyk and still have a former Cup winner in Nikolai Khabibulin but it’s hard to see how they’ll just turn into a playoff team, never mind a Cup contender, overnight. The forwards will take care of their own business just fine, fixing everything else is, and has been, the major issue.
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 4
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 7
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 59
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (59)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)