Sep 8, 2012, 8:57 PM EDT
The collection of young talent surrounding the Edmonton Oilers has a lot of people thinking big, even those on the team.
“It’s going to be a dynamic hockey team and our goal is to make the playoffs. Then once you get there, you never know, the LA Kings are a prime example of that. It’s a whole other ball game once you get into the playoffs.”
Remember, the Kings were a team oozing with talent that just wasn’t scoring goals for a good part of the season and put it together at the end of the season and playoffs. For the Oilers to be at all like the Kings they’ll need really solid goaltending.
The team is high on Devan Dubnyk and still have a former Cup winner in Nikolai Khabibulin but it’s hard to see how they’ll just turn into a playoff team, never mind a Cup contender, overnight. The forwards will take care of their own business just fine, fixing everything else is, and has been, the major issue.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)