Sep 8, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
Predators forward Patric Hornqvist is in the final year of his contract this season and he’d like to cash in.
For most players that usually means putting up bigger than normal numbers, but he doesn’t seem to care what year it is. Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean finds out from the Swedish forward that he just wants to keep improving.
“It doesn’t really matter if it’s a contract year or whatever,” Hornqvist said. “I always want to be better than my last year and for myself and team-wise, too. The biggest pressure is from myself. It doesn’t matter if I sign a two-year deal or my contract is up. Every time you hit the ice you want to do your best.”
Hornqvist is looking to build off his 27-goal season last year, a nice bounce back after potting just 21 the season before. While his 43 points last year were a career-low, he’s not there to feed the puck to others.
If he can back to his 30-goal form he had in his first full season, the Predators might not miss too much offense. Should that happen, a new extension will be on its way.
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 6
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 8
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)