Sep 8, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
Predators forward Patric Hornqvist is in the final year of his contract this season and he’d like to cash in.
For most players that usually means putting up bigger than normal numbers, but he doesn’t seem to care what year it is. Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean finds out from the Swedish forward that he just wants to keep improving.
“It doesn’t really matter if it’s a contract year or whatever,” Hornqvist said. “I always want to be better than my last year and for myself and team-wise, too. The biggest pressure is from myself. It doesn’t matter if I sign a two-year deal or my contract is up. Every time you hit the ice you want to do your best.”
Hornqvist is looking to build off his 27-goal season last year, a nice bounce back after potting just 21 the season before. While his 43 points last year were a career-low, he’s not there to feed the puck to others.
If he can back to his 30-goal form he had in his first full season, the Predators might not miss too much offense. Should that happen, a new extension will be on its way.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)