Sep 8, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
Predators forward Patric Hornqvist is in the final year of his contract this season and he’d like to cash in.
For most players that usually means putting up bigger than normal numbers, but he doesn’t seem to care what year it is. Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean finds out from the Swedish forward that he just wants to keep improving.
“It doesn’t really matter if it’s a contract year or whatever,” Hornqvist said. “I always want to be better than my last year and for myself and team-wise, too. The biggest pressure is from myself. It doesn’t matter if I sign a two-year deal or my contract is up. Every time you hit the ice you want to do your best.”
Hornqvist is looking to build off his 27-goal season last year, a nice bounce back after potting just 21 the season before. While his 43 points last year were a career-low, he’s not there to feed the puck to others.
If he can back to his 30-goal form he had in his first full season, the Predators might not miss too much offense. Should that happen, a new extension will be on its way.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)