Sep 8, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
Predators forward Patric Hornqvist is in the final year of his contract this season and he’d like to cash in.
For most players that usually means putting up bigger than normal numbers, but he doesn’t seem to care what year it is. Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean finds out from the Swedish forward that he just wants to keep improving.
“It doesn’t really matter if it’s a contract year or whatever,” Hornqvist said. “I always want to be better than my last year and for myself and team-wise, too. The biggest pressure is from myself. It doesn’t matter if I sign a two-year deal or my contract is up. Every time you hit the ice you want to do your best.”
Hornqvist is looking to build off his 27-goal season last year, a nice bounce back after potting just 21 the season before. While his 43 points last year were a career-low, he’s not there to feed the puck to others.
If he can back to his 30-goal form he had in his first full season, the Predators might not miss too much offense. Should that happen, a new extension will be on its way.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)