Sep 8, 2012, 7:50 PM EST
Predators forward Patric Hornqvist is in the final year of his contract this season and he’d like to cash in.
For most players that usually means putting up bigger than normal numbers, but he doesn’t seem to care what year it is. Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean finds out from the Swedish forward that he just wants to keep improving.
“It doesn’t really matter if it’s a contract year or whatever,” Hornqvist said. “I always want to be better than my last year and for myself and team-wise, too. The biggest pressure is from myself. It doesn’t matter if I sign a two-year deal or my contract is up. Every time you hit the ice you want to do your best.”
Hornqvist is looking to build off his 27-goal season last year, a nice bounce back after potting just 21 the season before. While his 43 points last year were a career-low, he’s not there to feed the puck to others.
If he can back to his 30-goal form he had in his first full season, the Predators might not miss too much offense. Should that happen, a new extension will be on its way.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)