Sep 8, 2012, 6:36 PM EST
This season was shaping up to be an important one for Florida’s Erik Gudbranson, but it may have to wait a while before it starts.
Harvey Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel reports the 20 year-old defenseman was hurt in a training accident and things might be dicey. Fialkov says the injury may be serious and he required medical attention after it occurred.
In his first full season with the Panthers last year, Gudbranson scored two goals and added six assists with 78 penalty minutes in 72 games. He’s being groomed to be Florida’s physical presence on defense as well as a true defensive-defenseman.
Fortunately the Panthers have good depth on the blue line especially after adding Filip Kuba as a free agent this summer. If Gudbranson winds up missing a lot of time, a lockout could work out well to his benefit as far as getting time to recover without missing games.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 4
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 70
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (71)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)