Sep 8, 2012, 3:37 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin didn’t know anything about tennis before he started dating Maria Kirilenko, but that’s something that’s changed over the course of their relationship.
He attended all of Kirilenko’s matches over the summer, including her bronze medal doubles victory in the 2012 Summer Olympics. In addition to that, he’s taken up the sport.
“Tennis helps me a lot to be in good shape,” Ovechkin told CSNWashington. “When you’re not practicing and eating food and watching you get out of shape. But I was always running and moving when I played.”
Ovechkin and Kirilenko have been seeing each other since early last season, although their respective professional careers have made that a long-distance relationship at times.
“We were always on the phone or on Skype,” Ovechkin said. “[Later in the season] three times she come here, so she was here a lot. It’s good. It’s the kind of relationship I like.”
Meanwhile, Ovechkin is waiting to see what will happen in the NHL’s ongoing CBA talks. He’s already said that he’ll play in the KHL if there’s a lockout.
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 0
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 27
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 35
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15