Sep 8, 2012, 3:37 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin didn’t know anything about tennis before he started dating Maria Kirilenko, but that’s something that’s changed over the course of their relationship.
He attended all of Kirilenko’s matches over the summer, including her bronze medal doubles victory in the 2012 Summer Olympics. In addition to that, he’s taken up the sport.
“Tennis helps me a lot to be in good shape,” Ovechkin told CSNWashington. “When you’re not practicing and eating food and watching you get out of shape. But I was always running and moving when I played.”
Ovechkin and Kirilenko have been seeing each other since early last season, although their respective professional careers have made that a long-distance relationship at times.
“We were always on the phone or on Skype,” Ovechkin said. “[Later in the season] three times she come here, so she was here a lot. It’s good. It’s the kind of relationship I like.”
Meanwhile, Ovechkin is waiting to see what will happen in the NHL’s ongoing CBA talks. He’s already said that he’ll play in the KHL if there’s a lockout.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22