Sep 8, 2012, 3:37 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin didn’t know anything about tennis before he started dating Maria Kirilenko, but that’s something that’s changed over the course of their relationship.
He attended all of Kirilenko’s matches over the summer, including her bronze medal doubles victory in the 2012 Summer Olympics. In addition to that, he’s taken up the sport.
“Tennis helps me a lot to be in good shape,” Ovechkin told CSNWashington. “When you’re not practicing and eating food and watching you get out of shape. But I was always running and moving when I played.”
Ovechkin and Kirilenko have been seeing each other since early last season, although their respective professional careers have made that a long-distance relationship at times.
“We were always on the phone or on Skype,” Ovechkin said. “[Later in the season] three times she come here, so she was here a lot. It’s good. It’s the kind of relationship I like.”
Meanwhile, Ovechkin is waiting to see what will happen in the NHL’s ongoing CBA talks. He’s already said that he’ll play in the KHL if there’s a lockout.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 15
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)