Sep 8, 2012, 3:37 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin didn’t know anything about tennis before he started dating Maria Kirilenko, but that’s something that’s changed over the course of their relationship.
He attended all of Kirilenko’s matches over the summer, including her bronze medal doubles victory in the 2012 Summer Olympics. In addition to that, he’s taken up the sport.
“Tennis helps me a lot to be in good shape,” Ovechkin told CSNWashington. “When you’re not practicing and eating food and watching you get out of shape. But I was always running and moving when I played.”
Ovechkin and Kirilenko have been seeing each other since early last season, although their respective professional careers have made that a long-distance relationship at times.
“We were always on the phone or on Skype,” Ovechkin said. “[Later in the season] three times she come here, so she was here a lot. It’s good. It’s the kind of relationship I like.”
Meanwhile, Ovechkin is waiting to see what will happen in the NHL’s ongoing CBA talks. He’s already said that he’ll play in the KHL if there’s a lockout.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)