Sep 8, 2012, 2:12 PM EST
Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock likes what he has to work with this season, according to the Detroit News. However, he’s well aware that Detroit’s defensive situation could use some work.
“We don’t have enough depth. You lose (Brian) Rafalski, (Brad) Stuart and (Nicklas) Lidstrom in just over a year, that’s a chunk of cheese leaving,” Babcock said. “We need people to step up and there’s opportunity for others. We’ll have that fixed up and we will.”
You can count Brendan Smith among the group of defensemen that the Detroit Red Wings are hoping take a significant step forward next season. Smith gave Red Wings’ fans a taste of what he could do last season with seven points and a plus-three rating in 14 games.
They also might add another blueliner, like unrestricted free agent Carlo Colaiacovo.
All the same, nothing they do will fill the void left by a legendary player like Lidstrom.
“When you notice it is when you get all the guys back and he’s not there,” Babcock said. “And when the puck drops for the first game, you’ll really notice it.”
Even if they can’t replace him, Detroit will attempt to make a smooth transition to life in the post-Lidstrom era.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)