Sep 7, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
The problem is that they’re below the salary floor — at least as things are currently structured. Until we get a new CBA, we don’t know for sure what the cap situation will be like in 2012-13.
“We’re below and we’re not doing anything until we find out what the actual dollars will get to and we’ll have to act accordingly,” said Senators GM Bryan Murray.
Ottawa is one of eight NHL teams that Cap Geek lists as being under the floor, although half of those teams are just shy of the threshold. On the other hand, Ottawa still needs to add $2.2 million just to reach the floor, while Phoenix is a staggering $9.3 million short of the minimum.
When we finally have a new CBA, the teams that need to make moves will do so. However, until then, the Senators will wait to see what happens next.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 13
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 60
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 84
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 7
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional