Sep 7, 2012, 11:41 AM EDT
A year ago today, the hockey world experienced one of its darkest days when a plane carrying the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team crashed after failing to gain altitude on takeoff from the Yaroslavl airport in Russia. Forty-three passengers were killed that day, and one player, Alexander Galimov, died later in hospital. There was only one survivor, the flight engineer.
Among those killed were former NHL players Pavol Demitra, Ruslan Salei, Josef Vasicek, Karlis Skrastins, Karel Rachunek, Alexander Karpotsev, Igor Korolev, and the head coach of the team, Brad McCrimmon.
Following are three articles marking the one-year anniversary of the tragedy:
Pain has not faded for McCrimmon family (Craig Custance, ESPN)
Demitra remembered as a fun-loving jokester (Randy Sportak, QMI Agency)
How KHL’s Lokomotiv was reborn, one year after plane crash tragedy (Dmitry Chesnokov, Yahoo! Sports)
Sort of puts the NHL ‘s labor dispute into perspective, doesn’t it?
There are far more important things.
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 21
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 21
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 76
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 109
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (110)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful