Sep 7, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
The NHL and players’ union met informally for over two hours Friday morning. The two sides were tight-lipped following the exchange, but they decided to meet again Friday evening.
That meeting has ended too and again details were scarce, but Darren Dreger termed the negotiations as “good” and “candid.”
Either way, it looks like we’ll have to wait until Saturday to find out when/if the two sides will meet again, according to John Shannon.
The lack of details isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It could mean that the NHLPA and NHL are focused on negotiating behind closed doors rather than through the media.
“It’s good sign that we’re sitting in the same room,” Minnesota’s Zenon Konopka said, according to Michael Russo, after attending Friday’s meetings. “That can be taken as positive. We’re doing everything we can to get deal done”
The current CBA is set to expire on Sept. 15, so the two sides have a little over the week to come to an agreement if they want to avoid a potential lockout.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)