Sep 7, 2012, 2:09 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek has finalized a deal that will allow him to keep the team for at least two more years, a source tells the New York Post.
The deal, hammered out in the last few days, was able to be reached only after the NHL agreed to convert its multi-million dollar advance on licensing income into a secured loan and to put off repayment for 24 months, or longer, the source added.
Vanderbeek is now paying lenders other than the NHL roughly $40 million to retire some of its overdue loans and is combining the team and arena debt into one new $160 million package, sources said.
The deal hasn’t officially closed yet, but the Post says that should happen next week.
In other Devils news, general manager Lou Lamoriello told the Bergen Record yesterday that forwards Ilya Kovalchuk and Patrik Elias and defenseman Mark Fayne should be healthy enough to attend training camp (whenever that may start).
Specifically, Lamoriello said Kovalchuk (lower-back injury) is “fine” and skating/working out in Russia, Elias (groin surgery) is “100 percent,” and Fayne (wrist surgery) is “coming along great.”
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 1
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 22
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 8
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)