Sep 6, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
We’ve heard from plenty of players with their thoughts on what’s going on with the labor struggle between the players and owners, so why not a little more from one of the league’s formerly more controversial players?
Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke spoke with Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and says things are a bit different than they were the last time the two sides haggled things out.
“The players are united,” he said. “That’s something that’s completely different than it was last time.”
Meanwhile, Cooke says no matter when things get settled between the NHL and NHLPA, they’ve got to be ready to go and that means no sitting around gorging on Primanti’s sandwiches in Pittsburgh.
“It’s how we earn a living for our families,” Cooke said. “Whether it’s Sept. 15, Sept. 21, Oct. 10 — whatever the date is — we still have to be ready. And you can’t do that sitting around doing nothing.”
The two sides have nine days before the owners will lock out the players, but Cooke and many others will be waiting for whenever they decide to unbar the doors.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 3
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 10
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 73
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (76)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)