Sep 6, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
We’ve heard from plenty of players with their thoughts on what’s going on with the labor struggle between the players and owners, so why not a little more from one of the league’s formerly more controversial players?
Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke spoke with Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and says things are a bit different than they were the last time the two sides haggled things out.
“The players are united,” he said. “That’s something that’s completely different than it was last time.”
Meanwhile, Cooke says no matter when things get settled between the NHL and NHLPA, they’ve got to be ready to go and that means no sitting around gorging on Primanti’s sandwiches in Pittsburgh.
“It’s how we earn a living for our families,” Cooke said. “Whether it’s Sept. 15, Sept. 21, Oct. 10 — whatever the date is — we still have to be ready. And you can’t do that sitting around doing nothing.”
The two sides have nine days before the owners will lock out the players, but Cooke and many others will be waiting for whenever they decide to unbar the doors.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)