Sep 6, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
We’ve heard from plenty of players with their thoughts on what’s going on with the labor struggle between the players and owners, so why not a little more from one of the league’s formerly more controversial players?
Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke spoke with Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and says things are a bit different than they were the last time the two sides haggled things out.
“The players are united,” he said. “That’s something that’s completely different than it was last time.”
Meanwhile, Cooke says no matter when things get settled between the NHL and NHLPA, they’ve got to be ready to go and that means no sitting around gorging on Primanti’s sandwiches in Pittsburgh.
“It’s how we earn a living for our families,” Cooke said. “Whether it’s Sept. 15, Sept. 21, Oct. 10 — whatever the date is — we still have to be ready. And you can’t do that sitting around doing nothing.”
The two sides have nine days before the owners will lock out the players, but Cooke and many others will be waiting for whenever they decide to unbar the doors.
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 0
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 11
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 15
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 9
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 29
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)