Sep 6, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
We’ve heard from plenty of players with their thoughts on what’s going on with the labor struggle between the players and owners, so why not a little more from one of the league’s formerly more controversial players?
Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke spoke with Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and says things are a bit different than they were the last time the two sides haggled things out.
“The players are united,” he said. “That’s something that’s completely different than it was last time.”
Meanwhile, Cooke says no matter when things get settled between the NHL and NHLPA, they’ve got to be ready to go and that means no sitting around gorging on Primanti’s sandwiches in Pittsburgh.
“It’s how we earn a living for our families,” Cooke said. “Whether it’s Sept. 15, Sept. 21, Oct. 10 — whatever the date is — we still have to be ready. And you can’t do that sitting around doing nothing.”
The two sides have nine days before the owners will lock out the players, but Cooke and many others will be waiting for whenever they decide to unbar the doors.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)