Report: Players, owners “on verge” of meeting again, possibly Friday

Sep 6, 2012, 8:06 PM EST

Donald Fehr Getty Getty Images

With Sept. 15 rapidly approaching, it appears that the players and owners might at least start formally negotiating again.

The Canadian Press reports that the NHL and NHLPA are “on the verge” of resuming talks, “possibly as early as Friday.”

NHLPA head Donald Fehr was reluctant to make any bold claims, though.

“I don’t know how that will go yet,” Fehr said.

Gary Bettman’s right-hand man Bill Daly indicated that the ball is in the NHLPA’s court now.

“I think we’ve made it clear that we don’t think it’s incumbent on us to make the next proposal,” said Daly. “We continue to feel that we made a very significant proposal last week and we’re not prepared to negotiate against ourselves at this point.”

1. id4joey - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM

What is the common ground between owners and players? Last I remember they we’re anything but close to common ground. Someone please clarify if I missed something.

2. ktboston - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:53 PM

JUST GET IT DONE SO I CAN WATCH HOCKEY IN OCTOBER!!!!!!!

3. capsrockva - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I just want the dam deal to get done

4. revansrevenant - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I shall now celebrate by drinking a shot of watered down vodka. I’ll save the actual drinking for when there is an actual deal.

5. PUCKSandFILMS - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Reblogged this on El Puckster and commented:
    As talks continue, hockey fans can only wait and hope for the best. Most of us will just be sure to consume ourselves with the NFL or MLB. In regards to those leagues with the Miami Marlins causing a tremendous stir and the Miami Dolphins announcing a real rebuilding year which they have been doing for the last ten years just not publicly, I long for the Florida Panthers to return.

6. gibbskins9 - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:44 AM

I have not and will not attend any games from the first lock out, lock out again and I’ll NEVER watch hockey again!!!!

• ballistictrajectory - Sep 7, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Don’t let the door hit ya…

• hockeydon10 - Sep 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM

gibbskins9,

You are a very special snowflake. I’m sure the league and PA sat up and took notice of your post. We should all expect a deal any minute now. Thank you for your great service to mankind.

7. ballistictrajectory - Sep 7, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Maybe they should have a meeting to discuss negotiating whether there should be a meeting on Friday.

8. augsburg12 - Sep 7, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Pretty bad when they have to announce. On the verge. Wait for it .. A meeting

9. pariseinminnesotabichez - Sep 7, 2012 at 7:46 AM

God damn just get the deal done!

10. rpiotr01 - Sep 7, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Each side has formed a committee to weigh the pros and cons of discussing whether or not they should meet again. Preliminary findings are expected by Dec. 1, 2012.

11. raiderufan - Sep 7, 2012 at 8:58 AM

They aren’t gonna cancel the NHL forever….they aren’t gonna get new players….they aren’t gonna get new owners….

So exactly what is gained by not locking the heads in a room for hours on end at least every other day until a deal they know must be completed at some point is done? The whole idea of a lockout and negotiating every other week and just stomping feet in public is non sense.

I know it’s alot of legal mumbo and all that but they can’t even get to that point without consistently getting in a room and working thru the issues. They have to reach a deal…no other option is available.

12. tmoore4075 - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:06 AM

The longer this goes the more pressure both sides will feel and they’ll get a deal. I think we’ll miss sometime (which is stupid but whatever) but I think we’ll have hockey by December 1 at the latest. Both sides know they can’t lose too much time. Hoping egos won’t stop them from using their heads though.

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches