Sep 6, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
One issue that’s come up regarding a possible lockout is whether or not highly-talented CHL players who could be NHL-ready this season would be able to play pro hockey once their seasons began.
Branch tells McKenzie that NHL teams will have access to their CHL players once the NHL season gets underway following a possible lockout. For guys like Hamilton, Scheifele, and others who could jump to the NHL this season, this is a huge step for them so their ability to go pro right away isn’t hindered.
Even more importantly, perhaps, McKenzie says underage players who played in the NHL last season could play in the AHL this year. That means guys like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Gabriel Landeskog, and Sean Couturier may be able to play with their respective farm teams.
McKenzie cites guys like Nathan Horton and Patrice Bergeron who did just that back in 2004-05. Imagine seeing last year’s Calder Trophy winner, runner-up, and a playoff hero in the minor leagues for a short time. Maybe the AHL wouldn’t mind seeing the NHL have a short lockout.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)