Sep 6, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
With the possibility of a lockout looking more and more certain, the NHL Players’ Association is doing its part to help prepare their constituents for how things will go.
Kevin Allen at USA Today obtained a memo sent out to the players explaining what will happen if/when the league shuts out the players on September 15. Here are the highlights of what the players have to expect:
— Injured players will still get paid
Guys like Marc Savard, Chris Pronger, and Marian Gaborik don’t have to pick up a second job during the lockout just so long as the injury is hockey-related and teams are aware of it. Those injured players will get paid until they’re fit to play.
— Players are allowed to play in Europe during the lockout, but they might be in trouble if they get hurt
“We expect that your NHL club would suspend you without pay until you are fit to play,” the NHLPA memo said.
Players that go abroad could be suspended if they’re hurt there. The union asks that those players get insured against their NHL contracts if they head to Europe.
— Players with signing bonuses, buyout payments, and escrow payments will see paychecks coming to them
— The NHLPA expects that players won’t be moved during the lockout
“During previous lockouts, the clubs did not trade players or the rights to players after the lockout started,” the memo said.
That’d be a pretty jerky move to trade or cut a guy while games aren’t being played.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 37
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 31
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 26
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)