Sep 6, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Gary Bettman’s right-hand man Bill Daly caught up with Mike Russo for an extensive interview, covering the CBA negotiations in detail.
His first point is that the revenue sharing issue really isn’t – or shouldn’t be – a divisive one.
“We’re not that far apart on revenue sharing. That’s what Gary’s point is,” Daly said. “That’s why we want to focus on what the right share is and how we make this business healthy going forward.”
The NHLPA has made much about the 24 percent rollback from the last lockout, yet Daly frames the revenue share discussion in an interesting way.
Daly points to the increased value of the Canadian dollar and a “not as vibrant” economy to explain why it costs more to “generate revenue.”
“So the world doesn’t stay static. It continues to move,” Daly said.
Finally, Daly responded to the notion that the owners are losing the public relations battle to the players.
“Fan perception is important to us, but at the end of the day, we have to do an economic deal that’s going to work for our clubs and our owners and our business and that’s going to make the league healthy going forward,” Daly said. “We hope to do that with the support of our fan base.”
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)