Sep 6, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Gary Bettman’s right-hand man Bill Daly caught up with Mike Russo for an extensive interview, covering the CBA negotiations in detail.
His first point is that the revenue sharing issue really isn’t – or shouldn’t be – a divisive one.
“We’re not that far apart on revenue sharing. That’s what Gary’s point is,” Daly said. “That’s why we want to focus on what the right share is and how we make this business healthy going forward.”
The NHLPA has made much about the 24 percent rollback from the last lockout, yet Daly frames the revenue share discussion in an interesting way.
Daly points to the increased value of the Canadian dollar and a “not as vibrant” economy to explain why it costs more to “generate revenue.”
“So the world doesn’t stay static. It continues to move,” Daly said.
Finally, Daly responded to the notion that the owners are losing the public relations battle to the players.
“Fan perception is important to us, but at the end of the day, we have to do an economic deal that’s going to work for our clubs and our owners and our business and that’s going to make the league healthy going forward,” Daly said. “We hope to do that with the support of our fan base.”
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)