Sep 6, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
With the current CBA expiring in just nine days, there’s a host of talented young restricted free agents seeking out lucrative long-term deals before the rules (eventually) change.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie says the end of the current agreement means many of these young stars might get skunked out on the big bucks they’re hoping to score.
Among the unsigned restricted free agents are Montreal’s P.K. Subban, Winnipeg’s Evander Kane, Dallas’ Jamie Benn, the Rangers’ Michael Del Zotto, Colorado’s Ryan O’Reilly, Buffalo’s Tyler Ennis, Florida’s Dmitry Kulikov, and Washington’s John Carlson. That’s a load of talented guys all without contracts and many with big futures ahead of them.
In this situation, the teams have almost all the leverage. The players’ rights aren’t going anywhere, the teams know the rules will most likely change regarding contracts to restricted free agents with the next CBA, and with it so may their ability to retain those players’ rights.
The one big thing teams have to worry about is burning a bridge with their prized players. That might be the last thing on anyone’s mind at the moment.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)