Sep 6, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
With the current CBA expiring in just nine days, there’s a host of talented young restricted free agents seeking out lucrative long-term deals before the rules (eventually) change.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie says the end of the current agreement means many of these young stars might get skunked out on the big bucks they’re hoping to score.
Among the unsigned restricted free agents are Montreal’s P.K. Subban, Winnipeg’s Evander Kane, Dallas’ Jamie Benn, the Rangers’ Michael Del Zotto, Colorado’s Ryan O’Reilly, Buffalo’s Tyler Ennis, Florida’s Dmitry Kulikov, and Washington’s John Carlson. That’s a load of talented guys all without contracts and many with big futures ahead of them.
In this situation, the teams have almost all the leverage. The players’ rights aren’t going anywhere, the teams know the rules will most likely change regarding contracts to restricted free agents with the next CBA, and with it so may their ability to retain those players’ rights.
The one big thing teams have to worry about is burning a bridge with their prized players. That might be the last thing on anyone’s mind at the moment.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)