Sep 6, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
With the current CBA expiring in just nine days, there’s a host of talented young restricted free agents seeking out lucrative long-term deals before the rules (eventually) change.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie says the end of the current agreement means many of these young stars might get skunked out on the big bucks they’re hoping to score.
Among the unsigned restricted free agents are Montreal’s P.K. Subban, Winnipeg’s Evander Kane, Dallas’ Jamie Benn, the Rangers’ Michael Del Zotto, Colorado’s Ryan O’Reilly, Buffalo’s Tyler Ennis, Florida’s Dmitry Kulikov, and Washington’s John Carlson. That’s a load of talented guys all without contracts and many with big futures ahead of them.
In this situation, the teams have almost all the leverage. The players’ rights aren’t going anywhere, the teams know the rules will most likely change regarding contracts to restricted free agents with the next CBA, and with it so may their ability to retain those players’ rights.
The one big thing teams have to worry about is burning a bridge with their prized players. That might be the last thing on anyone’s mind at the moment.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)