Sep 6, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
With the current CBA expiring in just nine days, there’s a host of talented young restricted free agents seeking out lucrative long-term deals before the rules (eventually) change.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie says the end of the current agreement means many of these young stars might get skunked out on the big bucks they’re hoping to score.
Among the unsigned restricted free agents are Montreal’s P.K. Subban, Winnipeg’s Evander Kane, Dallas’ Jamie Benn, the Rangers’ Michael Del Zotto, Colorado’s Ryan O’Reilly, Buffalo’s Tyler Ennis, Florida’s Dmitry Kulikov, and Washington’s John Carlson. That’s a load of talented guys all without contracts and many with big futures ahead of them.
In this situation, the teams have almost all the leverage. The players’ rights aren’t going anywhere, the teams know the rules will most likely change regarding contracts to restricted free agents with the next CBA, and with it so may their ability to retain those players’ rights.
The one big thing teams have to worry about is burning a bridge with their prized players. That might be the last thing on anyone’s mind at the moment.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)