Sep 6, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
With the current CBA expiring in just nine days, there’s a host of talented young restricted free agents seeking out lucrative long-term deals before the rules (eventually) change.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie says the end of the current agreement means many of these young stars might get skunked out on the big bucks they’re hoping to score.
Among the unsigned restricted free agents are Montreal’s P.K. Subban, Winnipeg’s Evander Kane, Dallas’ Jamie Benn, the Rangers’ Michael Del Zotto, Colorado’s Ryan O’Reilly, Buffalo’s Tyler Ennis, Florida’s Dmitry Kulikov, and Washington’s John Carlson. That’s a load of talented guys all without contracts and many with big futures ahead of them.
In this situation, the teams have almost all the leverage. The players’ rights aren’t going anywhere, the teams know the rules will most likely change regarding contracts to restricted free agents with the next CBA, and with it so may their ability to retain those players’ rights.
The one big thing teams have to worry about is burning a bridge with their prized players. That might be the last thing on anyone’s mind at the moment.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 92
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (92)